'Dusty' mould growing on live rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cuffit

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I set up my first marine tank 3 months ago and now have 3 hermits, two clowns and some live rock. at the weekend I bought some small pieces of live and after a few days there is something growing on it that looks like a greyish green dusty type mould. it was disturbed by a crab and it scattered like dust.
Has anyone got any idea what this could be please
Many thanks.

Attachments

• SAM_0289.jpg
    SAM_0289.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Sorry, photo attached. the 'growth' is around and above the mushrooms on the centre piece of rock.
Thanks.

Looks like Cyano or turf algae. If it comes off with a finger tip it's cyano. If it's stuck really good on the rock, then turf algae.

Either way, you can lower your feeding schedule/amount and siphon it off with a good scrub.

I must be looking at something different but Ive not seen cyano like that. Do you have good water movement?

yes, I have good water movement. I have searched the internet for pics of cyano and have not come across any like this. It doesnt just come off with fingertips, it acts like a dust or powder.

Looks like detritus above the left mushroom and then cyano above the right one. There could be a link to it. Cyano feeds of of detritus and other nutrients. You may need to get some nassarius snails they eat detritus.

blowing off your rock with a turkey baster will help , when doing water changes it dislodges any crud you have building on rock

Back
Top Bottom