Engineer goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just added one of these guys to my 55 FOWLR, plenty of LR to hide in. Is it pretty typical for these to disappear and hide for periods of time? Couldnt find him after looking for 20 mins this morning... Just added him last night with an algae blenny.

I had one that knocked down all my rock and got huge. Pretty much looked like an eel. Had to part with that bugger haha. He did hide all the time tho.

DWilliams said:
I had one that knocked down all my rock and got huge. Pretty much looked like an eel. Had to part with that bugger haha. He did hide all the time tho.

Yikes! Should I part ways with him while he's still small??

If your planning on stacking live rock and making it look good I would. They also dig a lot of holes all over the place in the tank under your rocks.

You need rock that is stacked on the bottom glass for this fish. They will did all sorts of caves an holes..making one side of the tank basically a sand mountain lol.

I see mine whenever i look into the tank...oh..but he is around 10 inches..lol

Gboy66 said:
You need rock that is stacked on the bottom glass for this fish. They will did all sorts of caves an holes..making one side of the tank basically a sand mountain lol.

I see mine whenever i look into the tank...oh..but he is around 10 inches..lol

Pic Gboy?? I'm pretty sure my rock is settled in the sand close to the glass... Should I get some silicone and connect the top few pieces of rock so they have less of a chance of tumbling over?

You can actually buy some soft reef safe cement that looks like putty to attach your rocks. It's only like $6 a tube. Works great. Drys under the water.

Yea that's what I meant, not silicone sorry... But I probably shouldn't glue my entire structure together, right? Just a few pieces?

image-806888834.jpg

Benamayer said:
Yea that's what I meant, not silicone sorry... But I probably shouldn't glue my entire structure together, right? Just a few pieces?

You may not have to do that at all. Just make sure that your bottom rocks are resting on the glass. They can only move sand. When the rock structure is supported by sand they can tumble as the engineer moves the sand around. If the rocks are resting on glass he can move all the sand he likes and the structure will remain sound.

Still, epoxy is great for placing tricky pieces of rock together. It's excellent stuff to have on hand. If you only use a small amount the rocks should be able to be separated with a strong twist outside of the tank if you decide to change things up.

Back
Top Bottom