Enough Light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok. Here is the scoop:

75 Gal Tank
4-5" DSB
~150-160 Lbs. Live rock
2 2x65 Coral Life Deluxe Aqualights = 2X130Watts = 260 Watts

Wouldn't 260 Watts be divided up by approx 55 Gal instead of 75 since there is the DSB? Would you divide the light 260/55 = 4.72 Watts Per Gallon?

Would this be enough to have something like a Clam if it was higher in the tank on the live rock or some corals that need more light?

Am I right in thinking this? :confused:

Just wondering if this will be ok until I get my MH lights in the coming months.

Just curious. What are the dimensions on your aquarium. If it is a deeper tank then I'm not sure on how the Clam would actually do.

It would really depend on the type of coral. Most would not be OK but maybe a squamosa clam and maybe another medium light clam. Do some research on different types.

Watts/gal is not a very good way to guage lighting. There is quite a bit of difference between 150w MH and 150w PC. Assuming those are power compact lights, they are next to the bottom of the totem pole as far as lighting intensity. You would be OK for any soft corals, a few lower light LPS, but a clam might be pushing it.

If you're going to go MH anyway, I'd just wait. That way you don't have to worry about reacclimating it to different lights.

Back
Top Bottom