fish only tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crvz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have just upgraded my 30 gallon long reef tank into a 55 gallon, and now i have the 30 gallon sitting in the apartment with nothing to do. i was thinking about going to a fish only tank and was wondering what are the best type of fish for such a "limited" tank size. i was leaning towards a lion fish, but they seem to require more size. anyone want to spill out their personal preferences or suggestions? thanks

Look into dwarf fuzzy lions. You can put them in a 30 gallon. They look similar to their larger cousin the Volitan. I have one in a 20. Very entertaining.

This topic was moved to it's current forum...

A dwarf would be OK, provided you have the filtration for predators. Are you looking for predators specifically? They tend to get larger than some of your othe SW fish...Maybe a dwarf angel or a blenny or clowns....

i like the idea of predators, but thats kinda why im asking... i dont know enough and dont like making mistakes. i wanted to do something that i couldnt do in the reef tank. something thats unique and/or original. and what exactly is needed for "predator filtration"? i've got a nice canister filter and protein skimmer. anything else?

hmmm, so we're looking for predators you can house in a 30g tank.....

I'll keep thinking, but all that really comes to mind is the golden moray eel. There is a post on here somewhere about it, complete with pics. I'll try to dig it up and post a link. a dwarf lion might work, some (even though dwarfs) still get very large some upto 13". you could do a hawkfish (smaller variety eg; longnose, flame or falco), there are the small puffers, and probably a few others, I'll keep thinking on it.

what exactly is needed for "predator filtration"? i've got a nice canister filter and protein skimmer. anything else?

depending o the canister (I've never been crazy about them so haven't kept up with what does what), that is probably fine, you just have to keep up with the mess of predators.

For thirties?....Dwarf Lion.....White spotted puffer (the one that only grows up to around 3 inches max) would be good addition. There are some triggers that you can get away with. I don't know yet but maybe....just maybe...Niger triggers?

wow, how far back did you have to go to find this thread archie? It is over 2 years old so I wouldnt wait for responses.

Well thanks for the consolation response, admin. :D

Sometimes when I am in the middle of my AA addiction, I look to the topics above page 40.

I need help. :lol:

ohmigosh...you have it bad. Put the mouse down, step away from your computer.
As hard as it may be, turn around, thats right, your back is now to the monitor and you cant see the screen. Don't panic, I guarantee you it is still there. Take a few deep breaths, leave the room and go for a walk, get a coffee or a soda and I promise we will all be here when you get back.

Hahaha. I always have this feeling that I am "missing out" on the topics that are page 30 and above. Hahahaha!

Well I'd feel bad about myself for the habit but I just opened up a topic about posting while at work and I really feel normal. Yipeeeeee! :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom