Foxface looks stressed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmann

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my foxface looks stressed most of the time when the lights are off. He sits behind of my hob overflow all brown and spiked up. Does anyone know if this is how they sleep?Is he really as stressed as he looks or pretty much normal? Is it bad for them like the puffer being puffed all the time?

Does your tank still look like your avatar? if so, he's got no place to hide. I would put a lot more rock in there. At least 10 times what you have. I would recommend this also from a filtration standpoint. Your tank would be a lot more stable with more rock. Don't add the rock without cycling it in a separate container.

Last edited:
He hangs out behind the rocks like this as well. My water is is prestige. O's across the board

He hangs out behind the rocks like this as well. My water is is prestige. O's across the board

Mr. X wasn't expressing concern about parameters. What he means and I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong,

Fish need places to hide, if they are stressed they like to find a nice little cave or area to call there own. Also for that size tank you really should think about more rock.

Like stated above it will aid in filtration and just make for a happier home for your fish.

Just something to think about. But 0's across the board isn't helping your stressed foxface.

My foxface has plenty of rock to hide in. He sleeps at the top of my tank in camo on top of my mag float. I wouldn't call it stress they do that at night.

You DEFINITELY don't have enough rock. It's not opinion. Live rock is a natural filter. Your bacteria colony which resides on surfaces is limited with the tiny bit of rock, substrate, and glass. Also, you don't have enough rock to process nitrate. I don't care what the hobby grade test kits say, but eventually, you will see the by products of not enough rock. Unless of course you do water changes like a mad man. If you plan on keeping a very low bio load, then it's not a concern, but I doubt this is the case.
we use rock because of the anaerobic zones in it that house bacteria to process nitrate to nitrogen gas which is removed from the tank at the surface. Your tank is missing this component.
I have seen all sorts of fish do all sorts of things. I'm just pointing out something I am noticing. Also, the fact that foxface are omnivorous and like to graze, I personally, would like to have a substantial amount of rock for it to graze on.

My foxface has plenty of rock to hide in. He sleeps at the top of my tank in camo on top of my mag float. I wouldn't call it stress they do that at night.

Thanks, this is really a answer to the question I asked . If the people who have them notice this kind of behavior.

He has places to hide. And there is a little cave he hides in. I am going to add more live rock but not a ton. Probably end up having about 100-130lbs
I want a open look. And also need swimming room. I'm planning on adding a bamboo cat shark.

I asked about the behavior of the fish. Not about rock or filtration.

If I wanted to know I whether to wear polka dot shorts with a striped shirt, that's what I would have asked. But I didn't.

Thanks for you Inout

I asked about the behavior of the fish. Not about rock or filtration.

If I wanted to know I whether to wear polka dot shorts with a striped shirt, that's what I would have asked. But I didn't.

Thanks for you Inout

There's no need to be rude here. The members are simply giving you advice on your tank.

You have to learn something here. When you ask a question, yes you will get answers to that specific question BUT to be fair to the other members. They see other issues they may play into your original issue and are just trying to help.

Please your sarcasm and sly remarks to yourself as we're only trying to help you help your fish and your tank.

Bottom line. If you don't wanna open yourself up to other remarks, comments, advice and or opinions don't ask. Nobody here was being facetious, your last part of your post IMO was uncalled for.

The Con

My remark was meant only to say that mr_X has always given sound advice and that many of us trust him!

The behavior could be normal for sleeping. I've heard of foxfaces changing colors at night, but the constantly raised fins I have not seen or heard of. The bicolor fax faces I had never raised his fins unless another fish did something near him to startle him or make him feel he needed to get defensive. A small cave with three rocks is probably not enough to make it feel secure. Especially if you get other fish in there that may compete for that safe space (which could be the damsels now).

As for the rock issue...you did not ask, but you have been warned with extremely good advice. If you have a 180g with only a few small pieces of rock, your filtration and beneficial bacteria is not going to be able to keep up with the bio-load and you will eventually have major problems with nitrates. That will happen as more fish are added, so be ready for that nightmare. Only way around having the rock in the tank is to have a big sump with lots down there.

Thanks Todd

I'm running a bunch of chem pure and bio balls in my wet/dry as well as puregen, . A reef octopus xp3000 rated for a 400g tank. And will be adding more rock. Just not filling the tank with it.

Here he is out and about having did din

Attachments

• image-2782079830.jpg
    image-2782079830.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 93
Mine changes color every night when he hides in the rock. They do this...

I'm glad to hear this. It's been stressing me out thinking that he's stressed out. Lol

Thanks convict

It's a new tank so I'm trying. Just put some new bulbs in. This blue and actinic combo is nice.

I'm glad to hear this. It's been stressing me out thinking that he's stressed out. Lol

Thanks convict

It's a new tank so I'm trying. Just put some new bulbs in. This blue and actinic combo is nice.

Your welcome. We all start somewhere and learn along the way...

:)

Back
Top Bottom