Freshwater to Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patti

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What a great site!!! I spent the last couple of hours in the General Discussion area to see if I could find answers to my questions when I decided it was better for me to register and ask my questions.

I have freshwater tanks and am contemplating switching a 29 gallon over to a fish only saltwater tank. I have an Aquaclear 300 filter. Can I use this for the saltwater? I have a heater. What other equipment should I purchase to get this started? I don't mind doing water changes so is a skimmer necessary? I was told by the local LFS that a Filstar XP1 canister filter would be a good idea, or if I didn't want to go that way, to purchase a Fluval 4 Plus filter to use with the Aquaclear. Is crush coral only okay to use as substrate and if so, how much should I get? Any help/advice you can give me would be truly appreciated. Thanks.

Patti

Me personally I would think that the equiptment you have should sufice for a FO tank.. I would however rethink the Crush Coral Idea and think about some sort of sand Whether it be Southdown Tropical Playsand Or Caribsea Reef Sand... and I would say that 30lbs should be enough... For the most part Its the same as FW but more involvement such as constant water testing with stable results as well as water changes... For lighting all you would need is something for your own eyes to like... If you plan on doing anything more than just FO the setup gets a bit more complicated... FWIW I have about the same setup on my 29gal in my bedroom.. BTW with a 29gal you aren't really going to be able to have a whole lot of fish in the tank due to its size... just a forwarning..

HTH,
James

I would recomend LR. and inverts w/ fish to look at.

I would agree with this as well however If you just want the fish then you would not need the LR or the Inverts.. The inverts are just as fun to watch as the fish IMO... The LR well I like it because I got it from Liverocks.com and came with plenty of hitchhikers.. makes it fun because of all the new creatures I find and try to identify.. However for LR and Inverts I would suggest a bit more than the average Aquarium lights..

Hth,
James

Thank you all for your responses. I can't wait to set it up. I will also go with the sand rather than the CC. I am going to see how well I do with my first SS tank and then go from there. I really do appreciate all of you for taking the time to respond. Again, what a great, informative site. I sure have a lot of reading/threads to go through.

If you have ever used medication of any kind i would replace the tank if you want inverts such as shrimp or crabs. Even the slightest traces of some meds can kill these animals as well as liverock. If I were you i would ad a SCWD with a mag 12 on a closed loop and use a good hang on skimmer such as an Aquamedic turboflotor 1000 or aqua-c remora. This combined with good liverock and sand should provide all the nessecary filtration you need for a reef or a fish only with liverock (FOWLR). Keep it as close to nature as possible is my motto!

Darin

www.captivereefs.com

If you use the AC filter then take the media out and use it to create current. A powerhead will also be a good idea. SW tanks tend to need more current than a FW one. The LR is the best idea, though the jury is still out on skimmers in smaller tanks. They can tend to strip out too much stuff and can lead to instability. Some people swear by them though in smaller setups. If going with a sandbed then some inverts are a really good idea. Hermit crabs and snails will keep the bottom really clean and makes foir less work for you.

Be really careful with fish choice. Find some you like and ask on this board if your choices are the right ones for your tank size. Most fish come really small but can get big, or else need lots of space due to their diet and aggressivness. Clown fish may look cute but can be really nasty to other fish in a smaller tank. There are some great ideas and articles on www.nano-reef.com to get you started. And read the cycling article on this site for SW tanks.

In my opinion all the Hang on skimmers on
the market today cannot overskim a tank no matter how small. Now a very large downdraft is another story! Bottom line is that they are a nice safety device for a small tank to have. Helps if something dies unseen. Things can get ugly in a small unskimmed tank fast if something dies or it is overfed!

Darin

www.captivereefs.com

Thank you to everyone. I have a lot to think about and other questions to ask as I get into this new adventure. Patti

Back
Top Bottom