Heater killed my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiltymj

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my predatory tank. 75 gallon. I had a small miniataus grouper and a jewel damsel my heater went nuts and heated it to what felt like 90 degrees.

What's a good trustworthy heater I can get?

I got it from a friend I'll have to check cause I forget. Luckily my damsel is still alive. But the grouper didn't make it :(

Sorry to hear about your fish loss :(

Was it a glass heater? The titanium element heaters tend to fare better than the glass ones.

how cold does it get in your home that you need a heater. I haven"t used a heater in 10 years you should be able to make it without one

I always like to keep my house cold so that one reason but if I didn't have a heater I bet my tank would be about 70 at the most.

hopefully it would be around 75 and you'd be good. I'v found that heaters go bad like that sometimes thats why I don't use one. Try it out without it and see how it goes, if it gets to cold you can always add one. Good luck.

I can vouch for the Fluval M line of heaters (although I'm a freshie) as a good titanium submersible. Simple controls and a solid-reflective body. The activation LED actually shines through the reflective coating when it's on, but then vanishes when it's off.

how cold does it get in your home that you need a heater. I haven"t used a heater in 10 years you should be able to make it without one

you live in NY and you don't use a heater during the winter? :eek:
it really depends on the fish you have though
I just bought a new heater aqueon pro, never heard of it before but I hvnt bought a heater in years
its not glass is all i was worried about

you live in NY and you don't use a heater during the winter? :eek:

I would say it depends on what kind of lighting you are running and how close it is to the water line. For instance, my tank maintained a constant 79 while I ran 2 T5HO lamps at about 6" above the water line. Just changed to 6 T5HO mounted about 8" over the water line and now it stays at about 81-82. I am watching very close to see if I am going to have to run a chiller or not. If you are running Metal Halide lights, the heat from them may be even greater.

Back
Top Bottom