high nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonedogz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an established 90 gal.tank that has been running for a few years. My problem is I can't seem to ever get the nitrates to drop they are always over a hundred.I have about 125 lbs of live rock (figi) and 40 lbs of live sand 20 of which I added a week ago. I have a skimmer, two powerheads and the main pump circulating the water. I put a nitrate remover (purigen) in the sump did a 20% water change two weeks ago and a 15% this week and they haven"t dropped. There are only 4 fish in the tank a power blue tang a yellow tank a domino and a clown. Took out all the bio balls a month or so ago. Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance for any help

over 100? I doubt your test is reading accurately.

What kind of test kit are you using? How old is it? Have you checked the expiration on it?

I'd recommend you take a water sample to your LFS and have them confirm the test results, most LFSs will test water for you for free.

First off, Purgien will not remove nitrates. Purigen will remove the things that will eventually turn into nitrates, but it won't suck up the nitrates themselves. The best nitrate removers for saltwater is plain ol' water changes. (Don't get me wrong... I love Purigen and use it in my tank. But it's often misunderstood what it really does.)

If you did a 20% water change and saw no immediate decrease in that 100 number, then I'd have to agree with neilanh that your test kit might be on the fritz. Probably best to buy a different brand and double check your number.

Have you tested your source water for nitrates?

First off, in order to reduce nitrates you need an export such as protein skimmer, nitrate reactor (denitrator), macroalgae use, and feeding reductions. Other than the fish themselves creating the waste, excess food is usually the cause of such an accumulation. If your test kit is accurate, it is not surprising at all that a 20% water change didn't budge your nitrate reading since bacteria are consistently resupplying (dumbing this down). You would need several 25% water changes throughout the week in order to see results, reading-wise, once again if your test kit is accurate.

nitrate

Ok guys I'm using the seachem multitest marine basic test kit. I don't see an expiration date anywhere but I purchased it only three weeks ago. Also I do have a protein skimmer thats seem to be foaming pretty good.I use RO water in my tank for the water changes. Thanks

I agree with the more frequent water changes. I have had my tnank going two years now and have discovered that the more frequent the water change the better off you are if you have high Nitrates. For me 10-15% a week has work out well. At least till you get them under control.

Ok fellows, I bought a new test kit and tested the water again still well over a hundred about 160. I need help understanding where these nitates are coming from. As I stated I have a 90 gal tank, 125lbs of figi rock, skimmer, 40 lbs of live sand only 4 fish an do my water changes with RO water. Also does anyone have a aquaripure denitrator and if so how does it work Thanks for any advice

Have you tested your source water for nitrates?

Just because it's RO water doesn't mean it's pure. If you're getting it from someone else, and you're not testing it, then you could be getting anything. And if you're making your own and not testing from time to time, you could have a bad membrane or possibly have it hooked up wrong.

I always like to start at the source and work from there. First test the source water, then the tub/barrel you store it in, then... you get the idea.

I tested both the incoming and stored water and they were both 0 nitrate. the membrane and all other filters were just changed in Sept 08

OK... at least we can rule that out!

How often and what do you feed the fish? Do you put any other food or supplements in the tank?

once a day there feed. I feed them either brine and tetra marine flake. I put some Kalkwaiser ever now and then. Thanks

try feeding every other day and only as much as they will eat in 5 minutes. too much food and you will be feeding the problem.Also...flake foods could be your problem.

Have you tested your nitrates from your source water AFTER mixing in your marine salt / any buffering additives?

When you do your water changes are you just taking water out, or using a gravel vaccuum to clean the sand bed?

Do you have adequate water movement around and in all your live rocks? (This includes water movement behind your rocks). Still water anywhere in your aquarium is a place that waste will accumulate and increase your nitrates.

When you put your source water back in the aquarium were you careful not to stir the sandbed?

Had a chance to clean any sponge prefilters for your overflow, sump, etc.?

I'm going through a similar problem as you and had to ask myself all these questions, and only now am finally seeing a reduction in my nitrates. Mind you, my bioload is much heavier. I'll be doing my second water change tonight.

My water has been tested from all aspects. I take the water out when doing a water change. I have the main pump and two powerheads circulating the water. the sand bed is not usually disturbed and there is no prefilter sponge. Thanks

Hmm. Other than overfeeding, nothing really jumps out at me that could be causing the problem.

When I feed, I turn off all pumps and powerheads, and just put in a little food at a time. Once the fish eat it all up, then I add a little more and wait. I do this until they kind of just start picking at the food. Then I turn back on all the pumps and powerheads. Not sure if you're doing it this way or not, but often times I've seen people just dump in what they consider the right amount of food and walk away. By turning off the pumps, most of the food is consumed by the fish and not blown away into some nook/cranny to break down and pollute your tank.

Well when I feed them I don't turn of the pumps but I only put in a very small amount at a time and watch while they eat then add a little more each time till I feel they've had enough, I never do that (walk away) Thats why I can't understand the problem. The skimmer is working good I just don't know always had this problem. Thanks for the help though. I wonder if those denitrating chambers work.

Before I'd go that route, I'd focus on water changes. Maybe 20% every 4 days or so? That would get you down to around 20ppm (assuming you started at 160) in around 10 water changes. Seems like once you get it down to a reasonable level, it'll be easier to figure out where it's coming from. It's so high now, any minor increase is just lost in the background.

If you want to get to 20 you're going to need 20% changes for 7+ days. Remember the 20% is based on the new reading sooo. assuming 100 to start.

After pwc #1 = 80, pwc #2 = 64 , pwc #3 =51, pwc #4 = 40, pwc #5 = 32 , pwc #6 = 25, pwc #7 = 20.. Generally, not accounting for any additional nitrates being added amongst other things.

No biggie just didn't want anyone to freak out when the number is higher than expected after the prescribed # of days :drinking:

I would just perform a 25% water change and if the fish do not look stressed do another the next day or a 50% with a slow fill. Nitrates will continually rise so if you want to make an impact you'll have to perform a larger or more frequent water change.

Back
Top Bottom