Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackhorse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm just starting out with my first tank ever. Wondering if someone could
explain the benefits to having live rock. Is it a necessity to have live rock? Something we could add down the road? Were thinking about maybe taking it slow. Right now we are cycling with raw shrimp. After thats completed, maybe get 1-3 clown fish. BTW we do have live sand in there now.

The The Berlin Method of filtration article covers it.

Mostly just think of the lr as an in tank filter which your bacterial colony resides in. With proper water movement (15-20 times tank volume) it pushes the water through the lr filtering out the nh3/no2 and once mature even no3.

Main advantage is since it's in the tank and not external i.e. sump/canister/ect... a good clean up crew (snails/hermits/sea stars/ect...) can keep the lr clean thus reducing your maintenance and enjoy the tank more.

Other advantage is lr typically comes with tons of other live hitchhikers that are usually beneficial.

I agree. Liverock is something I would add before you got any livestock. And it's generally best to add it all at once. If money is an issue you can mix base rock and live rock together.

I agree with the others. LR will also allow for fish to set up their territories and give them a place to hide, sleep and feel safe.

If I buy the live rock now or after the cycling has taken place will it still be ok? I'm on day 2 or 3 of cycling with shrimp. My ppm of ammonia is now at 1.

I have one piece of "brain coral(?)" in there now. Doesn't this work sort of like the live rock? Can I buy both live and base rock now and put in with the coral I have?

Also, curing the live rock sounds complicated to me. What happens if I put the live rock in there 1 week into the cycle? Will I have to change all the water and start over? How will this affect the cycle process? We plan to start off slowly, maybe 1-2 clowns for awhile after the cycle is completed.

No you`ll be OK with putting the LR in one week in. It might prolong your cycle about a week. One thing for sure the brain coral needs to come out. It will most likely not survive. Ask your LFS to hold it till the cycle is done. The ammonia and nitrites during the cycle will be lethal to the brain coral. There needs to be no livestock in during the cycle.

Are you saying you have a live brain coral in your tank? If so, it might not make it through the cycle. You can cycle your tank with both base and LR.

The brain coral I have is dead. So it should not matter right? Still leave it in there? If I order the live rock and base rock now and put it in one week into the cycle, will that change the ammonia and then nitrite reading I get? And If I do it this way no need to cure it? Also, how much live rock/base rock is needed?

Oh and I don't have power heads...I'm not really sure what these are for? Will I need these also right away? I think these are to circulate the water better? right?

blackhorse said:
If I order the live rock and base rock now and put it in one week into the cycle, will that change the ammonia and then nitrite reading I get?
This might cause your ammonia to rise, but is natural in the cycle proccess. Once you get it, scrub the LR off to remove as much die-off as possibly and rinse the base rock as well.
blackhorse said:
Also, how much live rock/base rock is needed?
You should shoot for 1.5-2Lbs per gallon for the best filtration. You can mix 80% base with LR or however much you like.
blackhorse said:
Oh and I don't have power heads
These are pretty important. They help move the water (some critters need flow for feeding, like some corals). They will also help to agitate the surface for stable pH. Major namebrands are SEIO, Maxi-Jet, don't get cheap ones. I prefer the Hydor Koralia Water Circulation Pump http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=15955&inm=1&N=2004+22788+2035 but others will have their preferences as well.

I'm going with a fish only aquarium. Is the power head still important? Also with the base/live rock and a power head in there, I will still need my cannister filter?

Where is the best place online to buy base rock? I saw a post earlier but I can't seem to find it now.

The ph is important to keep O2 exchange for a stable pH, in any SW tank (unless you have enough flow from your cannister or sump/fuge's return and plenty of surface ripple). I like my cannister filter. I tossed out the sponges and carbon. I kept the ceramic rings (you can substitute it with LR rubble, if you like) and only run purigen in my filter. I also have 2 Hydor 2s and another ph in the middle of the tank.
I bought my base rock from marcorocks.com and was very pleased, it seems he has raised his prices and someone else might be able to point you to a cheaper site.

I'm going to order some live rock this weekend from exoticfish.com. Is 50 lbs. good for now for my 55 gallon tank? Or should I go with 100 lbs.? I'll be adding it in there 10 days into the cycle.

100lbs would be ideal. Not sure how it comes boxed, but usually its in 45lbs boxes. Two of those will be just fine. Also, specify over-night shipping as oppossed to two day. the rock will arrive in much better condition.

I agree that more than the 50 would be good also as it would provide more surface area for the beneficial bacteria to grow on.

How should I go about curing my live rock when I get it? Should I add in right in my tank and just let it cycle?

I'm kind of confused now because I'm reading a book that suggests that no substrate be added while curing/cycling the live rock and that the live rock can't be placed on top of the live sand. Problem is I already have the live sand in there and have been cycling already for about 1 week with the shrimp. Where do I go from here?

You can either just add to your tank now which is what I would do or cure it in a plastic tote. Since you are only one week in the cycle just add it to your tank and cycle your tank and cure your LR at the same time. When you get your LR I would scrub it really good in some SW to femove the dieoff. Read that link I gave you on curing LR that I sent you a couple post ago.

I agree...go ahead and add it to the tank. SInce your tank is cycling it will be fine. In the future, if you want to add additional LR to your CYCLED tank then you must buy cured LR or do it yourself. As far as adding the substrate and putting the LR on top, you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom