Live Rock or Bio Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinotrex

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have a suggestion as to which is better? Will fish live happily just the same with a Bio Wheel Filter as opposed to living with some Live Rock? I know a Bio wheel Filter has got to be cheaper than maintaining live rock right??? anyone? I'm thinking about the 400 Emperor, I'm reading here that thats a really popular item. Any thoughts?

I would say that if it's going to be a fish only tank, you can get away with the biowheel, however, live rock would be better. If you are planning on a reef sometime down the road, then definitely go with the live rock. :)

Exactly what Lex is thinking , Fish first then eventually reef sometime down the road. What I don't understand is that with Live Rock, how is a rock supposed to pick up the filth?

Along with LR, you get many filterfeeding organisims, bugs, critters and micro-organisms. The life on the LR uses the waste from the fish for it's own needs. LR itself is a viable media for biofiltration, typically tanks that incorporate LR and othe natural means of filtration have higher water quality than tanks using more conventional means of filtration.

What reefrunner said......If you dont get Live Rock now chances are that in the future you will wish you had. It really adds to the appearance of the tank IMO.

Hihi, honest I don't see any thing attractive about the LR, big ugly greyish colors piece of rock lies on the center of your aquarium :) but again, nothing is better than let the nature works its way! :mrgreen:

well I was just faced with this decision and I went with LR for its benefits...not to mention you can easily spend a few hundred $$ on plastic decorations which provide little to no value to the tank, LR also gives the fish a natural home with lots of hiding places

btw, there are many LR varieties available...for example, do you find this ugly?

http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/testimonials2.html

I like it, thanks ya'll, I think i'll go with LR. There's nothing wrong with getting a filter AND live rock is there? or is there absolutely no use for another filter if I have LR. If I get a filter, will the filter take away from the life of the LR?

I'm thinking about the 400 Emperor

I am new to this all too. I chose the Emperor 400 and it is working nice for me. I kinda wish that I would have gone with live rock instead, but I am glad now that I started slow cause I am learning alot from my own experiences and from everyone here on the forum. I will have my 46 gallon always but I am now pricing a 75 and 150 gallon for a Reef setup.

Good luck to you.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to have live rock AND a filter too right? Now for my next question....... whats the difference with a canister filter and a hang on emperor 400 bio-wheel filter? I can see price is one difference, but don't they serve the same purpose?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to have live rock AND a filter too right? Now for my next question....... whats the difference with a canister filter and a hang on emperor 400 bio-wheel filter? I can see price is one difference, but don't they serve the same purpose?

HOB (Emperor) give you the ease of cleaning/replace media, but bit noise, canister give you more space, you can pack watever (medias) you want in a canister and lots quiet.

Bio wheel Filter has got to be cheaper than maintaining live rock right???

A bio wheel does need occasional adjustment and replacement. Once the rock is in there really is no maintenance or additional cost. An occasion blast with a platic turkey baster is enough to clean it :D

Can I suggest that you read an article by Ron Shimek on the natural benefits of LR and LS. It goes into detail, on a "laymans" basis, to explain why you want a DSB and LR. We have the condensed version on our site and can provide the link for the full article if your interested. Look on www.reef-aquarium.net under "educational resources" for the article. It should be on the left at the top. I think you will find it very informative and applicable to your question.

Squishy

If I am using a bio wheel on a emp 280 in a 30 hex, how much live rock is it safe to add? or is it one of those, there is never too much..

I keep adding a 2 pound here 2 pounds there, I must have close to 10 to 15 lbs (added another 2 and half yesterday)

I would like all the help I can get with my filtration..

Generally, the reccomended amount of LR in a tank is 1.5 lbs per gallon. I am just over 2lbs per gallon on my big tank.

In theory you can never add to much. The problem your going to run into is swimming room for your fish. I'm not sure what size tank you have, but you dont want a tang in a 75 that has 2.5lbs per gallon in it. It would be far to crowded for the tang.

Other than that...knock yourself out.

Squishy

Edit: oh...and yes you can definately add both. Infact, the LR will be far more benificial than your Bio wheel could ever hope to be.

Back
Top Bottom