New Tank (Live Rock)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have a 75 gallon fish only set up and I have been trying to decide if I should get any live rock? disreguard what is listed in my profile as fish that I have. I got ride of them a few months ago when I moved and I have just got around to restarting a new marine tank. Plus the fish I had were old and I was kind of tired of them. The Naso tang I had was still living after 12 years can you believe that! Right now my tank has been up for about 2 weeks cycling with 3 damsels. All of the levels are at o.oppm (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and ect...) the salinity is 1.021 and the damsels are doing great despite their aggression. LOL! Should I hold off on any fish and get some live rock instead? I never have tried live rock, is it necessary? Do I need a skimmer? Will the fish do allot better with live rock?

I think since the tank has only been cycling for 2 weeks, you should wait on the fish, LR will help with the biological filtration in the tank and if you went that route, i would reccommend a skimmer also, if you do the live rock, i think it is a good idea to get the LS as well...Just my 2 cents :wink:

IMO, Live Rock is rather exciting, going the route of LR, corals and a few fish brings out the most eye candy.

I have a fish only tank and a live rock tank with corals and some fish and I spend most of my time watching the LR tank.

like two11devan a skimmer is a good idea, and id you decide to go with LR and purchase reef type fish make sure they will get along with damsels, those little bastards can be mean...

the fish will most likely claim territories and if they are old they will be aggressive towards new comers.. protein skimmer i think slows down the process unless you run it with liverocks... if you stick to a fish only tank i think live rock is your choice.. you can put it or not.. i have fish with a carpet anemone and some live rock.. it's reallllllllllllllllllllllllllly interesting to check the tank at night with the night vision on the camera...

I have a 105 gallon fish-only tank, and I find that I look at the rock more than the fish! I mean everday you get up and the fish are swimming, playing ect. It never changes, but to wake up and something new comes out of the rock, and this happens alot with LR, it is alot more interesting than the fish. So imo, yes LR is nice to have PLUS it is a benafital product to the fish in so many ways, helps the water filter, and it is a hiding place for fish. Yes it is expensive, I mean I spend $310.00 on my LR and I got a deal on it ( 5.00 a pound) (since I bought alot of it) Well wish you the best on you SW journey

Back
Top Bottom