Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edison9114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How can I lower my nitrate levels?

PH, ammonia, nitrite and alkalinity all test acceptable, my nitrate reading are testing high.

are you running a wet/dry or a biowheel.. Both are known to create high nitrate levels.. Tell us a little bit about your tank.. As there are many different things that can be done..

James

I have a 55 gal tank with approx 4 inches of fish.

I have a Penguin 330 BioWheel and a Penguin MiniWheel. Over the past week I have done a 30 % water change.

is this a reef tank, FO, or FOWLR tank.. Its most likely the boiwheels that are causing the nitrates.. What kind of setup determines the next step.. If there are not going to be inverts or corals in the tank than nitrates are not an issue..

HTH,
James

Water changes with RO/DI or RO water is going to be your best bet for the nitrate reduction no matter what kind of tank setup you have...Nitrates can be an issue if above 40 meg/L. Most fish become uncomfortable at these levels... do at least 10% weekly, lower feeding amounts to maybe 1 time a day if possible, with no more than the fish can consume in 3 to 5 min...

Nitrates are caused by excess waste/organic compounds. A protien skimmer may be able to help this also...

Good luck HTH

Back
Top Bottom