Nitrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agnate80700

Aquarium Advice Freak
This might seem like a silly question, but in all the information i've aquired the past few weeks, i dont recall ever reading/hearing anything about this. Maybe I just missed it.

How do people get nitrate to 0ppm? Is it possible in a fowlr tank, or do the water changes keep it 'in check'? Or does it naturally go to 0 on its own?

NO3 is the marks the end of nitrification and the beginning of denitrification. As NO2 is processed, NO3 is "manufactured". At low levels, it is relatively harmless in SW tanks. It is difficult to achieve and maintain an NO3 level of zero, but it can be done. Large amounts of biological filtration, light bioloads, light feedings and regular PWC will help. Depending on the fish in a FOWLR, keeping NO3 at zero is a challenge. many non-reef safe fish are messy eaters and contribute to NO3 issues.

I agree with Brian that in a non reef tank it`s hard to do with the usual fish. But you can sure keep a cap on it by doing the things Brian mentioned.

I have a huge Bioload, and my tank reads a constant 5ppm. Just keep up your PWC and you should be fine. Are you useing RO/DI water? If not then you should!

I agree, PWCs will reduce nitrAtes. You could also look into certain algaes, to help control it.

Back
Top Bottom