nitrite spike?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw3ll3r3

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay I came back from being at my girlfriend for the weekend and came home to test my new tank, hoping that the cycle would have started. Well I think it did lol, my ammonia is at 2pm so that's good it dropped from 4. Then I tested my nitrite and I got a grayish color? It's not on the test kit chart, so idk if it's spiking or what. Also I think I have 0-5 ppm of nitrate its really close to both.

It's probably unreadable b/c it's off the charts. The nitrates will raise when the nitrites go down. You still have some way to go, but you're getting there.

obscurereef said:
It's probably unreadable b/c it's off the charts. The nitrates will raise when the nitrites go down. You still have some way to go, but you're getting there.

Yes that's what I thought it was, is there any way to make it drop faster or should I let it run its course

Let it run its coarse. Anything rushed in this hobby usually ends up in disaster. Patience is key and it's really hard to not be tempted with getting a fish or something alive in there. Lol I remember I was so excited that I would test 2-3 times a day just to see if my ammonia and nitrites were dropping after 24 hours after dosing pure ammonia.

obscurereef said:
Let it run its coarse. Anything rushed in this hobby usually ends up in disaster. Patience is key and it's really hard to not be tempted with getting a fish or something alive in there. Lol I remember I was so excited that I would test 2-3 times a day just to see if my ammonia and nitrites were dropping after 24 hours after dosing pure ammonia.

Update! My tanks levels have changed drastically over night. My ammonia is now at 1ppm, and nitrite at 5ppm, and nitrate 20-40 ppm. Should I wait for ammonia to hit zero before adding more??

You don't have to dose it back to 4 ppm but I would keep it detectable between 1-2. You are right in the nitrite being the indicator of a completed cycle. Once it hits zero redose ammonia to 4 and check in 24 hrs.

Ingy said:
You don't have to dose it back to 4 ppm but I would keep it detectable between 1-2. You are right in the nitrite being the indicator of a completed cycle. Once it hits zero redose ammonia to 4 and check in 24 hrs.

At this point could it fluctuate very rapidly?

Back
Top Bottom