Planning species for my FOWLR 450g (clean up crew question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 450g FOWLR with 380 lbs of LR. I do not intend to make this a coral tank, thus I am planning on putting some of the interesting species into this tank that would not be possible with corals.

Some of the species I would like to add will include: triggers, puffers, angels, snowflake eels (you get the idea).

However, I really want to add some cleaner to this tank. What can I get that will help clean my tank but not become food for these future residents? Right now I have one Yellow Tang and a few Green Chromis.
Also, will large Green Chromis and larger clowns be eaten by a Snowflake Eel or some of the other afformentioned species?

Thanks,
Pete R.

Attachments

• left_side_closeup_day_1_153.jpg
    left_side_closeup_day_1_153.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 147
When you have eels any fish they can overpower are potential prey. To lessen the chances of unwanted predation introduce lesser aggressives first. This does not mean it will eliminate unwanted predation. It just lessens the risk. Triggers should go in absolutely last!!

Here's something one of our customers tried and succeeded in...

She put in a skunk cleaner shrimp in her FOwLR tank then later added a moray eel of some kind. They paired. The eel opens his mouth for the shrimp to clean him!! I don't think that would work if the shrimp went in after.

There are starfish that will eat the algae and not be bothered by most fish except for triggers, puffers, and parrots. Any fish with those beak like teeth are more likely to eat inverts like starfish. Sea Urchins are well armed and make great algae eaters. Though fish with those beak like teeth might be able to get through the spines, so make good choices in the species of fish you get. The nicest trigger you can get is the Blue Jaw. All the others are really too aggressive when they mature...even the niger trigger, which is also considered a lesser aggressive trigger species. I've seen big male nigers get just as rowdy as any Huma or Clown or Queen. Queen triggers seem to be the worst in temperment.

Hope this helped some.

Most triggers and eels will see any crabs and snails you put in there as lunch. With that fish selection, you are the clean up crew.

if it is gonna be fowlr then plz plz plz get a moorish idol and a pinnitus batfish for it those are my favorite fish but lack the size and space for them. :cry:

plz plz plz get a moorish idol
I would not recommend ayone try to keep this fish. It's survival rating in captivity is dismal at best. It is one best left to the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom