Raising ph ans kh with salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonrusso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 75 gallon fowler. I haven't checked my water specs for a while (shame on me. I know) because everything seemed fine. I checked them today (my dwarf lion is acting a little funny) and my pH and kh are a little low. Ph is at 7.8 and kh is about 7.5. I change 10 gallons a week which I make myself. I start with RODI. I used to use reef crystals for salt but switched to instant ocean because my kh was around 13. I contributed this to the added calcium for the reef health. I still have 1/2 a bucket left. If I switch back to the reef crystals, will that slowly bring my water back to where it is supposed to be?

Natural seawater is around 7 dKH, so your fine being at 7.5 dKH. The best way to raise your pH is get more fresh air into the system, or if you have a closed top, open it up, or try pointing a powerhead towards the surface to promote better gas exchange. If you live in a colder climate region where the house is closed up for the winter, it's normal for the pH to be a little depressed in the winter due to the increased amount of co2 in the air in the house.
Changing salt won't necessarily bring up your pH and raising alk may not effect it either. Being your alk is in a normal range, co2 has the biggest effect on pH.

You don't need to check your calcium and alk levels for a fish only. This is only important if you are keeping corals and inverts. How do you prepare your water change?

I start with the RODI in a heated barrel and pump that into a bucket with the instant ocean in it. I've never checked calcium. I just assume that the reef crystals has calcium in it. That's the difference between reef crystals and instant ocean.

I can't take the top off. I have a dwarf eel that might jump. Also, yes it is cold and closed up around here.

Now, my rodi has a ph of 7. Doesn't the alkalinity come from the salt?

Calcium and alk are hand in hand, is why I mentioned it. IO and RC both have calcium and alk. Allegedly, RC is just a bit higher and closer to NSW, but either are fine for a FOWLR. Do you have a protein skimmer on the tank? This will help with gas exchange also.

Yes, I have a reef octopus 150. It does a great job. I think I am going to start using the RC until I get those numbers back up.

Am I correct in thinking that using the RC will bring both numbers back up? Should I add a buffer? I'd rather do it with salt and not by adding chemicals.

Are these numbers even that bad? I'm still pretty new at this.

You are fine. Don't bother with a buffer. Like Larry said, aim one of your power heads upward a bit to break the surface. You could also construct a mesh top to use instead of a glass lid. Many people use pond netting stapled to a simple wood frame. Pretty easy to put together.

I use a sump system, so I took a small pump I had bought earlier and put it in the sump pointing straight up. I am getting some good surface turbulence now. It also takes care of some surface stagnation I had in the sump. I know the water was flowing underneath the surface (it has to be, right?) but the top was collecting bubbles and kind of filmy. Hopefully this takes care of 2 issues.

Back
Top Bottom