Real difference Reef Tank vs FOwLR??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonographe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:roll: I probably have been trying to skim too much information into my head so I got confused 8O

What is really the difference between a reef tank and FOwLR tank?? Don't they both need a sump, skimmer, and enough water circulation?

And aren't they both better if LS, LR, and DSB are used?

Is the difference only in the type of food? :?:

Please help!! Thank you.

Steve.

The main difference is that reef tanks include invertibrates(mainly corals) which require more pristine water requirements, more intense lighting and different(more) trace elements in the water column.

Brian

it's deep sand bed; this article helped me to understand :

http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm

OK so if I would like to start with a FOwLR then add some corals, I wouldn't change the main set up, right? just more intense light, and better quality water requirement..

i also read something about kalkwasser, strontium, and iodine...would these be needed in a FOwLR tank?

[/url]

Kalkawasser replentishes the calcium levels(used by hard corals) while also stabilizing the pH. Stronium and iodine are minerals some reefers add for coral growth. In a FOWLR I would suggest maintaining a calcium level of 350 for your coraline algae. You could use kalk for this or you could use one of the many other calcium supplements.
Yes, equipment wise the main change would be a lighting upgrade. Many people start out with a FOWLR and then move on to corals after getting comfortable with SW. The only other advice I would give is to choose your fish carefully(research) if you plan on turning your FOWLR into a reef. Many fish available are not reef safe and you would then either have to trade in the fish or forget the reef tank.

i think that i have been confused as to the difference between the two and found that my questions have not been concise enough. fowlr is that not "fish only with live rock"? if so then technically wouldn't that be a reef tank

A reef tank includes corals, a fish only is what it's called, Fish Only.

blhigbee said:
cant you have fish and coral together?

Just to clarify the info from Brian H, which is very correct BTW, you can have fish and corals together. Not all fish can be kept with corals though. Some marine fish are compatible only in a FO or FOWLR tank. For instance, if you drop a trigger in a reef tank, he will destroy it in short order. Some fish will eat your corals also. Some will eat all your shrimp, crabs, and snails. There are some inverts that aren't reef safe either. A sand sifting star will decimate your DSB by eating all the worms and pods that live in it. You really have to do some research on this before buying livestock. If you want to start with a FOWLR and graduate to a reef, be sure all your livestock is reef safe and that will save you many headaches down the road. Some of these critters are very entertaining to catch in a tank full of rock. The best way to do this would be to start with the DSB and plenty of LR. You shouldn't have much trouble keeping your water quality up to reef standards. Actually, your corals will probably do better since you will be adding them to a more mature tank than if you started a reef to begin with.
Logan J

fowlr is that not "fish only with live rock"? if so then technically wouldn't that be a reef tank
Im not positive on this, but I think you may be confusing live rock and corals. They are two different things. When I started I thought they were the same, that is why I am wondering if you made the same mistake, if I am incorrect in this assumption, just ignore this post. :lol:

I would like to have maybe 2 soft polyp corals in my FOwLR tank. I have 260W of light (2x65 Actinic, 2x65 10000k) of course lots of LR and a skimmer....

If I used Reef Crystals would that we enough to sustain 2 soft corals?

BTW - all the planned fish are reef-safe

Back
Top Bottom