Snail Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frankieg2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I been adding my CUC a Little at a time, And the hermits crabs are all doing very well, But every time I add the Mexican Turbo Snails they die in a day or two? Checked my water with a Red Sea test kit every thing looks good I did also check for copper and that was good too. Here are my results : NH3 0,NO2 0,NO3 20,PH 8.0,Phos 0.25, Calcium 420. Any suggestions? I did ask at the LFS no help they just said that the Hermit Crabs should be dead also since the same things affect them.

Thanks Frank,

Snails are a little more sensitive than hermits. How long did you drip acclimate your snails? Did you make sure the temperature of the water was the same when you were acclimating them? Were they getting picked on by the hermits? Hermits could kill then for the shells.

I did drip them for about an hour, And I didn't notice the hermits going after them until they were already on there backs.

Are your hermits going on a murder rampage? I caught mine in the act of trying to kill my turbo a couple of days ago, I split them up and this morning no turbo in sight hopefully it is behind the rocks where I can't see it. They don't only kill for the shell they will eat them too.

After mind were on there sides and after turning them right side up several times, And I knew they were dead the hermits ate them.
I was wondering if I should put a bag of carbon in my filter if that would take out something I'm missing?

"Just like most other invertebrates, the Mexican turbo snail is highly vulnerable to copper and you will not be able to use copper based medications in the tank without killing or seriously harming it. It is also sensitive to nitrate so keep an eye on the organic waste levels."
I'd say check your copper levels and nitrates again. The carbon filters are more effective removing chlorine, sediment and volital organic compounds. Not effective in removine nitrates or organic waste. If you feel like you have chlorine then yes, use carbon. But I don't think that's the key to your snail problem.

OK, I Will check the copper and nitrates levels, Also I feed once a day, Do you think feeding every other day would be a good idea, And is there another snail I should try?

Yes IMO switching to everyother day will help. I'm a fan astraea snails. They do a fantastic job in my tank. That said, a snail is a snail and is still harmed by the same things. So until you figure out what is going on exactly, I'd hold off on the snails.

Back
Top Bottom