Starting it up again: 75 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyChief

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I've read through dozens of threads in the past week. I'm returning to my hobby after a 4 year break. It will be mostly fish only, but I know I will eventually get a few corals. Here is what I have & plan to get:

Have:
75 gal tank
Fluval 204 canister filter
Red Sea Prizm HOB protein skimmer
70lbs dead rock left over (will get 10 pounds live rock to add to the 70 lbs)

Buying:
T-5 two bulb light fixture (not sure which one yet)
Ro/DI system to purify water (eyeballing this one: GPD.html Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | Typhoon 5 stage RODI Reefkeeper 75 GPD Aquarium Water Guru)
75 lbs live sand

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

IMO "live" sand is overrated. Regular sand will become live during the fish less cycle of your system. If you know you'll want corals you may want to start with a better light. If you don't have a refractometer it's a good tool to have. On a system that size you may want to add a sump instead of a canister filter. Good luck!

Honestly, I purchased 60 pounds of live sand for my first start up tank. I was cycled within 3 weeks, and I believe my sand has helped me tremendously in keeping my water stable and my tank healthy.

I wouldn't call it overrated, but maybe 60 pounds was too much. Adding a bag or two of live sand over the top of the cheaper sand would probably be wise and best. I think buying all your sand live is a waste of money. Two bags would be 40 pounds, and shouldn't be more than $70 dollars. Even one bag at $35 dollars wouldn't be a bad thing to add to your 75 gallon. Just pour it on top of your cheaper sand that you buy. It will help to get the other sand live faster, and helps with filtration.

I have a 55g reef and I have the Fluval 406 on that and I also have a Aqua C skimmer. I would suggest a filter that's rated for at least twice the size of the tank or 2 that would equal that.

Back
Top Bottom