Super Glue Waterproof Epoxy safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
For those that did not see over on my 240g tank build thread, I had a bit of a setback this morning. The glass brace that I had replaced was apparently not installed strong enough to hold the weight of my 5' light and I found everything in my tank this morning.

I am considering using Super Glue Waterproof Epoxy to attach it back and then seal with aquarium sealant. Two questions....

(1) Does anyone know if that product is aquarium safe? It says it can be used for marine, but I'm betting they are thinking boats or things like that.

(2) The glass guy that installed the replacement glass made two L-brackets out of anodized metal (aluminum?) and attached them (using double-sided tape) to the front and rear panels of the tank to hold the glass in place. He then sealed them using aquarium sealant. Will that metal hold up over time in saltwater if it is sealed in aquarium sealant? I would hate for it to deteriorate over time. Anyone happen to know? I'm almost thinking of making braces out of glass if there is any potential problems with the metal.

I plan to reattach those using the epoxy if it is safe.

I emailed the Super Glue company and they said none of their products have been tested with marine life, so they advise against it. Not what I expected to hear from them...

Don't people use super glue to hold live rock and/or attach frags to plugs???

I had the same question and the the answer was J-B Weld 8277 Water Weld.It worked great!It is aquarium safe.

Back
Top Bottom