Tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kvn276

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know Tangs will sometimes fight each other but I really wanted to try a couple so I did all this research. It seemed that Powder Brown Tangs were more peaceful than others. I also read where blue tangs were among the tangs that lived better with other tangs. So on the same day, I bought a small to medium Powder Brown and a more adult blue tang. The powder brown seems more normal but the two have been fighting some and it's only the second day. The blue tangs seems very wild. He swims around the aquarium very fast, left to right and top to bottom. I have two clowns that seem to know to get out of his way. Neither of the tangs seem to be a afraid of each other. I've seen them both nip at each other. Will this get better or should I already be looking at getting rid of one them????

First, I am no expert on tangs but it doesn't sound too good so far. You're right that blue tangs are supposed to be less aggressive. Not sure about your powder brown. I used to have two yellow tangs and they got along fine but they were raised together. A few things occur to me that might be working against you. One: They're different kinds of fish. There's no guarantee they will get along. Two: Are they two males? A dominance issue maybe? Three: How big is your tank? I'd say you need at least a 75g. Maybe more. Maybe your blue is freaking out because the tank's too small. As far as what you should do, the blue is obviously in distress. If it's been two days and he hasn't calmed down by now, I don't think he will. I'd separate them immediately. That's pretty much the limit of what I can tell you so good luck. :)

from what i found out it is best to put them in the tank together an turn off all the lights and wrape the tank so it will be verry dark and leave it that way for 24 hrs. and all should turn out ok that is what i do with all new fish when thay are put in my tank i woulu try that and c if it will help so thay will get use to seeing each outher and stop fighting

Welcome to the site.
Well, the Browns and Blues have the same body shape.
The browns are the least aggressive and will not get along with a more aggressive tang....With that being said, the Blues are aggressive and will not get along with less aggressive tangs, especially with the same body shape....
Was you research done at the LFS?

Besides the fact your 80g tank is too small for any 2 tangs, are they the same species (acanthurus.sp)? Is 1 a powder brown and 1 a powder blue or is the other a blue hippo (regal) tang? Regardless, chances of both living together in your tank are pretty slim.

I dont think you need to wrap the tank up. When I`ve added tangs and they start scrapping then I move some LR around and just turn out the lights. Seems to work after a while.

I used www.liveaquaria.com for a lot of my research and both of these tangs have a minimum tank size of 75 g. Mine is 80g. Both were also listed as Peaceful. And even though I refered to the blue tang as more of an adult, he's about 4 to 5 inches long, no where near full grown. The powder brown is real small. The blue tang has calmed down some. The two still seems to "get in each others way" every now and again but it doesn't seem as bad. Neither seems to be stressed by the other. I realize now it probably was not the best decision. These two tangs are different generas but they do have similar body shape. The blue tang just seems spastic or something but I was told that is very common behaviour for them. Oh well, I'm a little new to this and it seems that everyone has different opinions and even books and web sites seem to contradict each other.

At my LFS Roger who is the bomb at fish said that you can have any number aside from 2. If their is 3, they wont fight, 1 unless he is wierd wont fight.

how much live rock do you have? can you put any pics?
KVN I see that you live near Charlotte. what lfs do you use if you dont mind me asking?

I would recommend Nemo's they are off of eastway dr. the area is not that good but no one in the area has fish as nice as them and there prices are crazy cheap. The only thing is that he usually goes to atlanta on friday or saturday to get his fish. he usually gets back around 5 and is sold out of new livestock by 7 when he closes.

Hi newbie! I have about 100 lbs of live rock. So far, I've been using Fintastic off of South Tryon. I did actually try to go by Nemo's one day but they were closed and it was the middle of the work day so I thought that was odd. I'll have to check them out again. Back on the tang subject, I did end up returning the blue tang. Fintastic was actually pretty decent with the whole situation. So now, I just have the powder brown, a tank bread clown, and a black clown. I think I'm going to give it a few weeks as the aquarium is still new. So who knows what I will end up with. Good to know there is a friend in the Charlotte area.

Hello,

The best information is through quality books (lots of readings) and get informed information from aquarists here. I have learned so much buy just reading these posts. Beware of the LFS folks. Some will have your best interest in mind and some will drool at your hard earned money instead. I will never recommend anyone to buy two tangs in your tank size. First, they are among the pieces reserved for intermediate aquarists who have good command of water quality management. Second, they are agressive among themselves and with the small tank, you are asking for trouble. Third, they are expensive and to start out, costly specimens should be avoided. Finally, they are prone to disease and as a beginner, you need to find the fish that is disease resistant or you will be playing doctor instead of enjoying the hobby. I can't tell you how much money I tossed down the drain in past 9 years of salt water keeping. One time a LFS guy told me to buy a Regal tang in my newly set up 55 gallon aquarium and that 75 bucks went down the toilet in three days! I would return the tangs for credit and start out with something else. Experts here can help you with the choices. DP

Thanks for the advice. I did end up returning the blue tang since he seemed crazy. I do think my lfs (or at least one guy there) is pretty honest and knowlegable. He's actually talked me out of buying more fish than he's talked me into. I've kept the powder brown for now and he seems to be doing well. I'm all over the water quality doing regular water changes and testing ever couple days. I also invested in a top notch filtration system with an auto top off RO systems and calcium reactor. I'm glad I did because the tank has been set up for at least a couple months or more and the water has remained at top notch conditions. I know the powder browns (and the blue for that matter) can be prone to ich so I'm trying to be pro-active with algae on a clip and garlic on his food. So far, that seems to be working.

Back
Top Bottom