Temperature Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cls8s

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, so my tank won't go below 80F. I've had all the lights off for hours (they're LED), it's night so no sun, its 72F in my place. All I have running are two Koralia 750's and a mechanical filter. What's going on here? My heater used to kick on all the time because the water dropped below 77F. I've even unplugged the heater to make sure it isn't malfunctioning.

Edit: And my false percula is just swimming up in the corner, I'm afraid it's too hot.

Putting the ice-bag in now. Could it be due to the increased bio-activity? My tank is freshly cycled.

Dropped the tank by 1F. Clown already looks happier and is swimming around a lot more and in deeper water.

It could be many thing. Do you have a top over your aquarium? That could trap gases. Also increased activity could cause this. Btw, I'm happy to hear about your clown!

There is a top...and with no slits for heat to escape. I opened one small area at the front of the lid thats for feeding. There's also another large piece of plastic that can be broken off at the back for adding a bigger filter, but water would splash out then.

Well, there you go lol. You should have a large portion open so that oxygen can be replaced in the water and gases can escape.

Just so we know 80 degrees is a good temp. IMO 78-82 is ideal. But more important is that the temp. is stable. If it`s stable at 80 or 82 then you should leave it alone. Stable is better.

There are a lot of "experts" out there that are running there reef tanks as high as 84 degrees. Therefore I dont think it was the heat causing the clown to have that behavior unless it was a quick spike in temp causing the stress.

Back
Top Bottom