VERY STRANGE Ocellaris Clownfish behavior...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChelseazFishiez

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok hi. I've had a 10 gallon SW tank FOWLR, for about 5-7 months now... I have 2 ocellaris clownfish which are stil VERY young, because one is very small while the other one is even younger because it doesn't have all its stripes yet.
So...
STRANGE BEHAVIOR #1:
The two fish fight and then they both starts to twitch. But I doubt they're mating because they're soooo young and they're in such a small tank. But the one with the less stripes grew very much BIGGER.
STRANGE BEHAVIOR #2:
The larger fish ALWAYS sticks its head out of the surface for some very strange reason. Whenever I go near the tank and especially in the morning, sticks its head all the way out. And when, I turn the lights off at night, it just splashes like crazzyyyy!
STRANGE BEHAVIOR #3:
The larger fish ,again, spends about 95% of its time rights where the filter is. And it just goes under the part where the water from the surface meets and just ''surfs'' with the air bubble, it spins like a tornado in a way...

So is my fish seriously ill or I just got a very personality filled fish? ...

the fighting could be pairing, I know when I had two ocellaris they chased each other and then the smaller one started doing the mating dance and now when I see them at my LFS store the two both do the mating dance to each other nearly non stop. I don't know about the other behavior, I do know that if a fish spends time geting air at the surface it could mean there is not enough oxygen in the water, or there is somthing wrong with its gills. The larger ocellaris clownfish I had use to swim to the filter where the water sucks in and would stick itself to it for a few minutes before swimming away *shrugs*

If they weren't already paired the fighting is establishing the dominant one that will become female. This one will grow larger. The antics, well CLOWNfish. Trust me they are strange fish. No way they are ill. Also the guy hanging out near the filter might just be liking that spot. They do host things like PH's, filters and corals. Not just anenome's. :D My clown has taken up to sleeping on my powerhead. ;)

Good one Mitch! CLOWNS will be CLOWNS.

Behaviour #1 - They are establishing who will be the dominant larger female.
Behaviour #2 - Clown being a Clown
Behaviour #3 - Like Mitch said - they host anything! (mine hang out near the sand at night, and dig a little nest, and they hang around the powerhead during the day - unless searching for food).

Things of danger to look out for: rapid breathing, red colouration near the gills and head and lethargic/lying on their side.

Don't stress - for peace of mind do a water test - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

My clowns host a base rock. It's flat on top and they keep it clean. If one of the hermits climbs on, the larger (female) one swipes them off with her tail. Very amusing

I have two Percula Clowns and at night they hide up at the surface near the filter. Once the light comes on they swim around together. They seems to like to swim near the current of the PH.

my clown host under the filter, and in between the wall and the heater.

Back
Top Bottom