What fish/Invets can help with algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

basket440

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting to get algae, so I purchased 10 asterea snails 5 nassarius snails an arrow crab and 3 peppermint shrimp. I also have 2 clarkii clowns, a yellow tail damsel and a royal gramma. What would be compatible with my tank (55 gallon FOWLR) that I could have to help with the algae in the live sand or even just stir it up(inverts or fish)? Also how much sand do I need for the nassarius snails to thrive I read 4 inches and I don't think I have that much more like around 2 or 3.

they sift thru sand, hang on glass, and eat algae on live rock, i have a 30 gallon tank and one large turbo snail cleared it right up, when it eats all your algae you'll have to get dried sheet of seaweed to feed it tho

2 turbos cleared my 150g of algae quickly. The sand is because its a newer tank, and it will go away. If you want the best sandsifter, go with a diamond goby. For algae, if you want a fish, go with a lawnmower blenny. Turbos are awsome tho.

Rather than buying creatures to fix the symtoms you might wanna try to find out why it's happening. Are you suing ro/di water? how long are your lights on? How much and often do you feed? Algae grows from excess nutrients in the water. What are your nitrate and phosphate levels? Are you running a skimmer?

Rather than buying creatures to fix the symtoms you might wanna try to find out why it's happening. Are you suing ro/di water? how long are your lights on? How much and often do you feed? Algae grows from excess nutrients in the water. What are your nitrate and phosphate levels? Are you running a skimmer?

Well I kind of want algae so then I can have the stuff in there to fix it. But maybe that isn't the best idea. I used some ro/di water (about 27 gallons) but the other half was tap that was de-chlorinated using DeCHLOR. My lights are on about 8 hours (I have a SolarmaxH.O. High output double t5 lighting system). I feed twice a day one dry food and once brine shrimp. And I was told I do not really need a skimmer yet so no I am not running one.

The algae most likely is being fed by the excess food. Most people feed most once a day even skipping a day with no ill effects to the fish. In addition, the tap water is also fueling it as well. My first tank I started with tap water and had nothing but problems and it took months of using all ro/di water to clear up my problems.

Also, flake food is notorious for having phosphates in it and can also be contributing to it as well.

Back
Top Bottom