Will snails eat diatoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone. I just wanted to know if there are any snails that eat diatoms? or brown algae?

I don't see a point in looking for any because diatoms are just part of the stages that your tank will go through as it matures. Diatoms "burn out" after a while, usually less than a week from what I have seen, they are there one day and gone the next. My inverts tended to stray from diatoms, but I just had turbo snails and hermits at the time. Hope this helps.

my diatoms bloom came and went, but my sandbed was still covered for like a month, I got a diamond watchmen goby to sift through there, he did an awesome job and my tank looked great. Not actually sure if he ate them or not. Anywho, wait it out. They will go away.

Both my hermits and my snails seem to enjoy diatoms. My two hermit crabs have pretty much plowed through the top of my sandbed and destroyed all the diatoms... And my snails ate almost all the diatoms on both my rock structures. I have two random reef safe hermits and two astreas. If anything, I would say those are the inverts that will eat diatoms since mine did this time, and they did last time.

Back
Top Bottom