Amateur Fish Care Taker.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StarfishHands

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I have an Elephant Ear Betta Female and she is still alive. She loves swimming in her 5.5 gallon tank. I used sand instead of gravel because I think it looks more natural plus I noticed she kept getting her little fin stuck in the gravel!!![emoji21][emoji21] Omg. So, I replaced it with sand. I added Japanese Peace Lillies (the roots are in the water and the leaves are not). She has a little skull she can do a little swimmy swimmy through. Suprisenly, she is super cute eye she eats. As soon as I put a bloodworm in she goes and gets it. Its like she knows when she's suppose to fed. She does have a heater and a filter. I wish it was an indoor filter but it is not. I have not done research on the indoor filter. The VERY BRIGHT LED lights look a little too bright sometimes. I found out that instead of buying that cruddy betta water I can buy fresh water at the dollar general for $1 and that is the same. Ridiculous...I have a moss ball inside and that is about it. One thing I know I need to work on :( is finding out when to change her water. Other than that she's always so energetic. Its a pleasure to meet everyone of you. Can't wait too see your very cool pictures of Fish! #Fishpeoplesticktogether

Check out the article in my signature line, Getting Started/New..., it will give you loads of really useful information.

Welcome and nice to hear your Betta is in a good size home.

Hello, Starfish!

I don't know where you live, but for most people, tap water is fine but you need to use a water conditioner. These usually include a dechlorinator and/or treatments for heavy metals.

As for the water changing, 25-50% every week is pretty standard. If you want to dial it in perfectly, you can get a water test kit like this one from API. Then you can monitor the water levels for safety.

Autumn's articles are also super helpful and a great place to start. Welcome to the fish family!

Back
Top Bottom