Come on in, the waters fine...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beast Master

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, rookie fish keeper and planted tank newb here. I got my first tank a few weeks ago Fluval Vista 16 gallon. I've been on the "oh crap, what have I done" learning curve ever since. I am hoping I get some benificial bacteria established soon. Today is day 15 according to my Tank Journal.

Todays water parameters (sample taken @ 8AM)
Temp 76° (constand reading glass thermometer)
PH 7.8
KH 3
GH 6
Ammonia < 0.25 PPM
Nitrite 0 PPM
Nitrate 0 PPM
Tests done with API master FW and GH/KH kits.
Tap water tested as base line several day ago:
PH 8.2 KH 4 GH 7 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0
Local water report for my area indicates use of Chloromine at very high levels @ 2.6 PPM. But I did not know this when I first started.

I started off using Fluval Aqua + and Cycle (they came with the Vista tank "kit"). I followed the dosing directions on the bottles and after 3 days, (like an irresponsible human) I put fish in. The LFS guy said it was ok. The directions on the Fluval products said it was ok. I did not know anything about cycling a tank at this time. Apparently I also didn't know anything about sticking to a budget...

A couple of days later, I was reading about the care requirements for the fish I got. Just to make sure everything was ok for them. Because I thought I knew what I was doing...That's when the severity of what I did hit me...now, I know I've made a huge mistake. There are 2 things in my favor still, I have the time to fix it. I understand husbandry requirements, as I used to keep various types of reptiles. I purchashed the API test kits. I purchased Seachem Prime and Stability and switched over to them 4 days ago. I also got some ramen noodles for me to eat for the rest of this month, lol. JK

I have 4 male Scarlet Badis (juveniles) and 4 Gold Ring Danio's (juveniles). They appear to be doing well...though I realize I will have to rehome 2 of the Scarlet Badis as they are already establishing territories and displaying aggression. 2 of them are really growing and coloring up noticably better than the other 2...so I guess they will be the Doms. Lol. The color on all of the fish looks fantastic. I am feeding live Baby brine shrimp and Bug Bites/Tropical flake food. I use great care when feeding to ensure all fish eat and there are no wasted food items. I feed the Danios Bug bites or flake food every other day (I count the granules). The brine shrimp get offered when the Scarlet Badis belly's look thin. It was twice a day (I would only put in enough to be snapped up by them quickly) when I first got them home, but now I only feed them once per day (still not a lot) and they look healthy. The Danio's will eat a few of the brine shrimp...but seem to prefer the flake food. Their color looks amazing compared to their tank mates still at the LFS. The Scarlet Badis tank mates are gone, some died, the rest were sold last time I was at the LFS.

The Myrio Filigreen is growing amazing fast! The stock lights are not that great, but I will still need to propagate them by next week! The Java moss is a nice color of green...it's not growing nearly as fast as the Myrio. But at least most of the brown is gone now.

Back
Top Bottom