first saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ethana123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys im from australia and ive had freshwater fish tanks since i was about 10 and have always wanted a saltwater tank but thought it would be too hard but im 19 so i figured i may as well give it a go and have been reading about them for about a month and a half now. i have a 3 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft fish tank with an internal power filter that i'm buying live rock and live sand for tomorrow to start the cycle and next week im getting an eheim 2213 canister filter than im getting an aqua one marisys 240 series 2 filtration/skimmer system the week after that. i would like to have a fu manchu lionfish or fuzzy dwarf lionfish with a flame angel and foxface lo or yellow dwarf angelfish and 2 black and white ocellaris clownfish would this be possible ? if not are there similar fish that could work

Welcome to AA :) ... If I'm correct that's a 90 gallon tank which should be fine for that stock lost.

will they get along or should i look for different fish over the next month ? is there a specific order they should be put in ?

i also have a 3 ft x 1 1/2 ft x 1 1/2 ft tank would they fit into this or would it be a little to small

ethana123 said:
i also have a 3 ft x 1 1/2 ft x 1 1/2 ft tank would they fit into this or would it be a little to small

The Bioload may be to much for that size tank not positive though. As for compatibility, all you need to watch is make sure you don't get a full grown lion with baby clowns or else they will be lunch lol. Get the lion as small as possible and atleast medium sized clowns since they will eat whatever they can swallow.

would having excess filtration make the smaller tank okay for them or it still wont be good enough

I would like to try some easy to keep corals but I'm not sure

Okay. Well I suggest doing what I did and starting with a FOWLR then after everythings doing good, upgrade your light and try some coral :) just watch out. Angels are Natorius for nipping at coral.

are there any ways to stop them nipping at corals ? i've got my liverock and live sand in the tank what are some good things to do during the cycle ?

Not really :/ and research the fish you wanna add haha. Search for hitch hikers

Only hitch hikers I've got are a couple snails .. I thought they woulda died by now but nope lol

hey khij what kind of fish is that in your picture ? its awesome looking

That is a yellow headed jawfish. I don't actually have one but googled it and loved the pic haha :)

they really are cool fish but its a shame i dont want a deep sand bed otherwise id have a look at one .... theres a picture of the tank after the first week i tested it yesterday and ammonia is at 0.25 nitrite at 0 and nitrate at 5 ppm but i did it after i did a 10% percent water change so i dunno how accurate that is

Attachments

• IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 70
ammonia and nitrite hit 0 on sunday and still hadnt changed when i tested on wednesday so i bought a pair of tiny ocellaris clowns 4 hermit crabs and got given a leathery coral that i believe is sinularia because ive spent so much money there lol ... the clowns love swimming along the front

Attachments

• IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom