FishyPhil's Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyPhil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. I have found this site really useful in helping me to setup my second aquarium, so thought I would register!

I have recently bought the Fluval Roma 125 Litre (27.5 UK Gallon) tank. It came with a Fluval U3 Filter and a Fluval 150 heater.

My first Aquarium was the Fluval Edge. I attempted to cycle this tank (on the advice of lfs) with a few fish - big mistake! I didn't really fully understand the cycling process very much and, like most newbies, just thought that I could put fish it on a gradual basis right away. After the loss of quite a few fish it became disheartening and I eventually sold the tank. I now realise that tank is much too small for any decent amount of fish, and I should have fishless cycled it!

So after mistakes made and lessons learned, I have now jumped back into the aquarium addiction with my much bigger 125 litre tank!

I am now into day 6 of my fishless cycle, and fairly pleased with my results so far.

Filter set to spray bubbles for oxygenation (may add air pump and stone?)
Temperature: 28 Degrees C (82 Fahrenheit)
Ammonia: Roughly 2ppm after adding 4ppm on day 1.
Nitrites: 0.3ppm
NitrAtes: 5ppm

From what i've been reading, this seems a decent result for day 6?

Ideas for stock so far are:

10 Neon Tetra (although maybe another species, as I know they can be sensitive)
About 6 Zebra Danios
Possibly a couple of female Bettas (will they be ok with the danios?)
And a bristlenose Pleco

I really like the Blue and Gold Gourami's. What are peoples thoughts on possibly adding one of these by itsels? Are the Blue more peaceful than the Gold?

I will hopefully upload some pics soon! Thanks for looking :)

Thanks for the welcome Redsea!

I have been thinking about perhaps later upgrading to an External Filter. Does anyone think an external filter would be much better than the Fluval U3 for my setup? If so, do you have any recommendations? (not too expensive mind!) Is it worth getting one with a UV Light?

I plan on doing weekly 25% water changes with my current filter, and maybe just swishing the filter media in a bucket of siphoned tank water every month or so.

Back
Top Bottom