Fun options for my 20 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenfishfancy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New member here.
Researching options for my new 20 gallon tank. I’m pretty new to fish tanks. I’ve been thinking about dwarf seahorses.(love seahorse) but was wondering about tank mates, would a clown fish or fishes be possible? Or maybe going in a completely different direction with fresh water and doing a musk turtle with a fun tank mate or convict cichlids if my tank is big enough?? So I’m basically completely undecided and would love recommendations. Very excited to get this started!

Seahorses need a tall coloum tank and are pretty sensitive from what I hear.
A pair of clownfish (by themselves) would work. Saltwater aquariums can be pretty expensive to set up so make sure you have a budget.

A musk turtle would have to be by itself, I think 20g might be big enough for one but a bigger tank is always better. Make sure you have a platform for it to be able to breathe air and rest out of water.

20g isn't big enough for convicts but you can try a type of dwarf cichlid. Shell dwellers are fun to watch and will breed in your tank. Bolivian rams are cute and not too sensitive.

Tetras come in every colour of the rainbow, I'm sure there is a species that you will love.

If you are looking for personality I reccomend a female betta (you can probably add a few tankmates with her). Every female betta I have had has been full of personality, she will greet you by the tank, follow your hand, beg for food. Great fish all around.

Welcome!
I actually ordered dwarf seahorses from a comic book when I was a kid. This is before all the nano sized tanks were produced. They sent a blue plastic tiny tank in advance. Then sent a snail with two seahorses. The female arrived dead and the male was pregnant as promised. It gave birth to I think one tiny guy. It was hard to keep them alive as they started redirecting brine shrimp. Plus I was just a kid and had no idea what I was doing. Some people get lucky and their standard size seahorses accept frozen food.

Back
Top Bottom