Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmoretteCadenza

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi this is AmoretteCadenza. I recently set up my first aquarium! It's a 10 gallon tank, it was a starter kit and it came with a 5-15 gallon filter, a hood with two 15 watt bulbs (protected by a clear plastic cover so the fish don't jump up and get burnt), a packet of water conditioner, and some fish flakes I don't use lol.

I set it up on April 24th and put fish in it May 1st (when I got paid). I put 2 glowlight danios, 1 glowlight skirt tetra, 1 gold molly, 3 cory cats (emerald, julii, peppered), and 1 male crowntail betta. I'm pretty sure it's way overstocked, we'll be purchasing a glofish tank soon so no worries :) I have plastic plants (too chicken to jump right into a planted community tank).

I watch my fishes behavior and the condition of their fins very closely and they all get along very well, my betta has never nipped or bit at anyone. I feed them tropical flakes, dried baby shrimp(for the betta every now and then), betta pellets, and sinking bottom feeder pellets.

Any tips for a newbie would really help! I did a lot of research, but I still feel very lost.

Also, I've had a time here recently trying to get the hang of feeding my betta Fífo. I just recently purchased betta pellets, before he was eating tropical flakes and dried baby shrimp. When I came home from work two nights ago, I noticed he looked bloated. I left Fífo in over night and then ended up taking him out of the tank yesterday and putting him in quarantine all day (scared he had dropsy). But I woke up this morning and Fífo was fine (lots of waste in his cup). I put him back in the tank with the others, feed them flakes, put 2 betta pellets in for him and a small dried baby shrimp... Came back after getting cleaned up and he was bloated again :( any tips on feeding a community tank? Next time I feed them I was thinking I'd just do flakes. Then then next day give him just 2 pellets... I've also noticed his tail fins have white tips... Help?

Attachments

• image-1417139393.jpg
    image-1417139393.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 74
  • image-3092277516.jpg
    image-3092277516.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 67
:welcome: to the forum!

Do you have a liquid test kit? Im not sure you are cycled yet, but you can do a fish in cycle using the link below my post for newbies :)

Besides that, I've heard deshelled and blanched peas will help bloat. Good luck and keep us updated!

I don't have a liquid test kit yet, that's on my list of things to get next paycheck. Along with a siphon for cleaning. I did do a 25% water change Thursday... Does that help till I can get some water testing supplies?
I'll try the peas :) thank you!

I don't have a liquid test kit yet, that's on my list of things to get next paycheck. Along with a siphon for cleaning. I did do a 25% water change Thursday... Does that help till I can get some water testing supplies?
I'll try the peas :) thank you!

When a tank is still cycling the parameters go out of wack quickly. If it was me I'd do another water change, maybe 50% until u can get the kit, which I'm assuming you can get that this week? If not then more water changes will be needed.

To help with fish in cycling, I have a link at the bottom of each post for freshwater newbies, it'll help you cycle your tank with the fish you have in.

Good luck! :) :)

Back
Top Bottom