HEY ALL new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mystichaze32

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey all new here i just got my fish tank up and running 4 days ago. i had gotten 5 danios, 3 guppies (2 males and one female) three frogs ( i think 2 females and one male), and i Crossocheilus aymonieri i am on my second one the other one didn't make it so i am hbopign this one is gonna make it as long as my other did i had a Plecostomis at one time. anyways i hope i can keep this tank going and add more fish and or wait till my guppies breed. I have white sand and AquaTech 10-20 Power Filter with a air stone. 20 gal.:)

mystichaze32 said:
hey all new here i just got my fish tank up and running 4 days ago. i had gotten 5 danios, 3 guppies (2 males and one female) three frogs ( i think 2 females and one male), and i Crossocheilus aymonieri i am on my second one the other one didn't make it so i am hbopign this one is gonna make it as long as my other did i had a Plecostomis at one time. anyways i hope i can keep this tank going and add more fish and or wait till my guppies breed. I have white sand and AquaTech 10-20 Power Filter with a air stone. 20 gal.:)

Welcome to AA!
Are you aware of what cycling a tank means?
Do you own a test kit?
Please read this and if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

no right now i can't get a test kit. and i am slowly learning about cycling i never did it before but i let the tank run before adding fish. before releasing the fish in the tank they were in the bags floating. hoepfully i can get a test kit.

mystichaze32 said:
no right now i can't get a test kit. and i am slowly learning about cycling i never did it before but i let the tank run before adding fish. before releasing the fish in the tank they were in the bags floating. hoepfully i can get a test kit.

I recommend the API master test kit. Make sure you get a liquid one not the strips. Strips are known for being highly inaccurate. Unfortunately letting a tank run empty will not cycle it. Cycling requires an ammonia source from either fish, dead prawn or bottled ammonia. Letting the fish float in the bag will let them get use to the temperature but not the water itself (eg: pH). You need to add little bits of the tank water to the floating bag every 5 minutes until the water volume has doubled. Then net the fish and discard the bag water. Another method is drip acclimating. There are videos on YouTube showing this.
What you are doing is a fish in cycle. They are possible to do without harming a fish but you are in for a lot of work. Daily testing and water change/s will be needed. A test kit is very important during this time so you can keep an eye on how high ammonia and nitrite are and if they are at toxic levels resulting in a water change being needed. In the article I posted above there is a link to the fish in cycling guide. It will explain what you need to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom