Hey im new !:)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vienolac

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone I'm new, but I'm excited to be part of a group of people who seem promising to help, I'm new to aquariums but I'm gettin mine going, I have been looking for a good forum with knowledgeable people to help me in my times of need!
Anyways. Im glad to be here

Vienolac said:
Hey everyone I'm new, but I'm excited to be part of a group of people who seem promising to help, I'm new to aquariums but I'm gettin mine going, I have been looking for a good forum with knowledgeable people to help me in my times of need!
Anyways. Im glad to be here

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!!!

Welcome to AA :) how bout a little info on the tank maybe some pics ;)

I put info on my page, and I'll add some pics but not sure how let me figure it out

And it's a 5.5 gallon tank, that was cycled before gettin the red wag swordtail, and it was cycle with the dalmation Molly,

But since I put the red wag in there the Molly pretty much been in one spot,
We did a ph test today, the nitrite and nitrate were 0, the warder wasn't hard the alkalinity was good, but the ph was like on a 5. For both fish minimal is 7.0
So not sure what to do there

Attachments

• image-800342078.jpg
    image-800342078.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 45
  • image-2708630763.jpg
    image-2708630763.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 48
  • image-2661213194.jpg
    image-2661213194.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 61
The Dalmatian Molly has pretty much been in that spot since I got the other fish,
Btw
Molly's name is swampy :)
And
Wag name is Bojangles

Attachments

• image-3450951414.jpg
    image-3450951414.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 52
They may be acting funny due to the fact that they require a larger tank and may be having aggression issues. Also a PH that low is not good. It can stall the BB and be harmful to the fish. To raise your PH a good gas Exchange will usually do the job (water surface movement) and if that doesn't help and its your tap that is low then crushed coral in your filter can buffer your PH to a better level

Also, pull your anubias out and take a look at it. The stick thing that the leaves are growing out of is called the rhizome and cannot be buried. Only bury the roots sticking out the bottom of the rhizome and your plant will grow well :)

Mrc8858 said:
They may be acting funny due to the fact that they require a larger tank and may be having aggression issues. Also a PH that low is not good. It can stall the BB and be harmful to the fish. To raise your PH and its your tap that is low then crushed coral in your filter can buffer your PH to a better level

What is bb? And they are but an inch1/2 size right now maybe it won't be so bad? And how much crushed coral should I ad?

Beneficial bacteria (what concverts ammo-nitrites-nitrates) and a tank that size a couple tablespoons should be good. As for the size of the fish they can be held there temporarily but look into getting something like a 20 long for them soon

Bb is beneficial bacteria. Its what converts the ammonia from the fish waste to nitrites then to nitrates. Are you sure your ph tested at 5? What test did you use? 5 is extremellyyy acidic.

Ok sounds good, got a 10 gal lined up already just need to be cleaned. As I lack in room currently I'm not using it yet.

And the nitrate and nitrite were at 0, but it's still a new tank had it for about 1 1/2 weeks and the water already cycled through new tank syndrome,
But some places I read said if the ammonia is at a certain level and the fish seem to be doing ok, that I shouldn't mess with it,
Would u still recommend the coral?

Vienolac said:
Ok sounds good, got a 10 gal lined up already just need to be cleaned. As I lack in room currently I'm not using it yet.

And the nitrate and nitrite were at 0, but it's still a new tank had it for about 1 1/2 weeks and the water already cycled through new tank syndrome,
But some places I read said if the ammonia is at a certain level and the fish seem to be doing ok, that I shouldn't mess with it,
Would u still recommend the coral?

I don't think your cycled then unforuntately. You will wanna see your ammonia spike. Then that will be consumed by the first type of BB to produce nitrites as waste. Once you see that spike a second BB will develop to eat the nitrites producing nitrates left for you to remove through water changes. A cycled tank should have ammo and trites reading 0 at all times but if the tank never even began then you'll still get 0s across the board making it seem ok

You can speed the process along by seeding the tank with filter media from an established tank or substrate in a media bag.

My girlfriend said the ph was on 6. We tested it twice to check it though, it went through a foggy stage like a lot, and I use bacteria supplement everytime I change or add water

You'll wanna pick up an api master test kit. You can kind them onlime for like $20

Mrc8858 said:
You'll wanna pick up an api master test kit. You can kind them onlime for like $20

What does this test for? Everything I assume? Lol

It's a liquid kit that allows you to test for PH and high range PH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates

Mrc8858 said:
It's a liquid kit that allows you to test for PH and high range PH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates

Do I have to buy more than 1 or is it reusable

Back
Top Bottom