Hey There!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knowone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all!

Thx to the owners of this site for making this info available to people like me who have no idea where to start.

I have a cat who has been behaving poorly recently & my vet suggested getting a fish tank for him. I bought a 20 gal tank & set it up for freshwater & have been reading on this forum all the things needed for successful fish tanking. After reading & doing all this, my ADD brain has started to fall in love with this hobby! :)

So far I don't have any fish yet. Been cycling for a couple weeks. I do have a quick question (yes, i did search the forum for my question being previously answered to no avail):

*Having a 20 gal tank I am realizing I may need to go bigger. Because of this forethought, I purchased a hang-on filter & aeration pump larger than my tank size. The hang-on filter is designed for 50 gal tanks & the aeration pump is designed for 60-100 gal tanks. Will this be a problem for the 20 gal tank or the fish who will be coming home soon?

Thx again for letting me be a part of this community! Cheers

Welcome to the community.

We have a cat too. Who takes no interest in the fish tank whatsoever. If only he had a similar amount of interest in birds he would be a perfect cat!

Welcome to the community.

We have a cat too. Who takes no interest in the fish tank whatsoever. If only he had a similar amount of interest in birds he would be a perfect cat!

haha oh besides all this fish stuff, i also got 4 bird feeders, 4 bags of feed & suet blocks to bring the birds around! they were faster going up than cycling my fish tank! if my cat doesnt like the fish thats ok. im already looking at bigger tanks & the fx6 filter. lol

so i was trying to halve this intro with another post in the questions area. ill do a better job with the intro.

i was a photographer in chicago but had to stop because of the pandemic & moved back home to kansas. ive also been a movie theatre manager & did some work for television. i have 2 cats & soon a bunch of fish. i have other hobbies such as fishing, metal detecting & gem & mineral collecting. more detail:

* i mainly did fashion photography. i shot for many magazines & clothing catalogs. my biggest gig was the hang ten catalog i shot in hawaii for 3 seasons. great job if you know what youre doing.

*i did gaff work, camera work, direction & editing for a few series on history & discovery. mostly about ancient history mysteries. my skill is mostly in still photo but i did tv work because the interesting subjects involved.

*being a theatre manager was awesome except for the low pay. all the perks you can imagine, a theatre manager really gets. free trips to california, theatre biz in vegas, etc, etc every day was something different.

* i have 2 cats. one fat one & one skinny one. i got the skinny one to be friends with the fat one - but it didnt work out that way. now they just stand each other. the skinny one runs & swoops & hits the fat one right in the face. but hes so small compared to her, she barely cares. shes so fat she could never catch him so thats the happy medium i guess.

*i used to fish a lot. just sent my reels off to daves for repair. im an abu garcia guy + dobyns rods. cant wait until this heat breaks to get back out there.

*i love metal detecting! in kansas you never see em so its easy money going to local beaches (lake) & parks hunting. i dont really find old stuff like in the old world or back east, but modern gold is gold. ;)

*i got interested in gem & minerals when i was a kid. my uncle was the geology representative for 3 countries to the UN. when we would visit him in nyc, i was always drawn to his little display of gems & minerals on his shelf. when he died, he totally gave them to me! since then ive been adding to my uncles collection & it makes a great display!

anyways, hope this is a better intro :)

Back
Top Bottom