Introduction and advice needed! (Kinda long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cristal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!

I've been lurking on this site for a few months, and thought it was time to join in the fun.

I got into fish keeping Jan. last year, I was given a 2.5 Gal tank for Christmas. I got a Betta fish and he's happy in there with a small filter.

Then, last Mar. a friend was upgrading their tank and trying to get rid of their old one. I asked how much, they said $10 and I now had a 35 Gal. tank. I guess I was a boring fishkeeper, because I got a Koi Angelfish and he's been happy in there all by himself.

Now, I am in a little situation. A friend of my brother's got himself a 20 Gal. fishtank and it seems they went to Petco and just bought whatever caught their eye. That tank had 3 angelfish,1 catfish, 1 Pleco, 1 Bala shark and 1 Black Knife ghost fish. Well, my brother's friend had some drama happen and the tank went into the care of my brother last month. Now my brother didn't want to take care of these fish, he isn't into fish but he did it for his friend. So he calls me up and now my brother is about to move for his job so he's not wanting to take this tank with him.

I picked up the tank and all of its inhabitants a few days ago, they are now happy in my 35 Gal. with my original Koi Angelfish. I didn't know anything about most of the fish other than the Angels and Bala so I did some researching online about their requirements and full grown size etc.

NOW, I am worried because three of these fish are going to get BIG! Good news is, I had a empty 55 Gal. tank in storage that I'd been given by yet another friend. The 55 Gal. is now cleaned, filled and starting to cycle. Obviously it will be a few weeks until I can add any fish, but I am wondering what I should do.

Should I try and keep some in the 35 Gal. and some in the 55 Gal.? Should I move them all into the 55 Gal.? Should I try and give away or sell the ones that will get huge? How fast will they get full grown anyway?

In the future I aim to have a 125 Gal. but that won't be doable where I live right now.

I must admit I am enjoying watching them all swim around my tank. I don't mind keeping multiple fishes I just want them to be healthy and happy. Also, I'm realizing I have become a fish tank dumping ground for those around me.

I don't know much about all of these fish but this is what I do know. Until you can find another home for them (or a pond for the koi) they koi, knife fish, pleco (definitely if its a common pleco) need to be moved to the 55. The angel fish might be fine in the 35 until you can move the others. Idk what kind of temperament they have together? No ones fighting? Koi and tropical fish have different needs though. I would def get that koi to a pond. Hopefully you can find a nice pond u can go back to and still enjoy him in!! But yes those are mostly all going to need a much larger tank :). Welcome to AA you've come to the right place!!

Hello all!

I've been lurking on this site for a few months, and thought it was time to join in the fun.

I got into fish keeping Jan. last year, I was given a 2.5 Gal tank for Christmas. I got a Betta fish and he's happy in there with a small filter.

Then, last Mar. a friend was upgrading their tank and trying to get rid of their old one. I asked how much, they said $10 and I now had a 35 Gal. tank. I guess I was a boring fishkeeper, because I got a Koi Angelfish and he's been happy in there all by himself.

Now, I am in a little situation. A friend of my brother's got himself a 20 Gal. fishtank and it seems they went to Petco and just bought whatever caught their eye. That tank had 3 angelfish,1 catfish, 1 Pleco, 1 Bala shark and 1 Black Knife ghost fish. Well, my brother's friend had some drama happen and the tank went into the care of my brother last month. Now my brother didn't want to take care of these fish, he isn't into fish but he did it for his friend. So he calls me up and now my brother is about to move for his job so he's not wanting to take this tank with him.

I picked up the tank and all of its inhabitants a few days ago, they are now happy in my 35 Gal. with my original Koi Angelfish. I didn't know anything about most of the fish other than the Angels and Bala so I did some researching online about their requirements and full grown size etc.

NOW, I am worried because three of these fish are going to get BIG! Good news is, I had a empty 55 Gal. tank in storage that I'd been given by yet another friend. The 55 Gal. is now cleaned, filled and starting to cycle. Obviously it will be a few weeks until I can add any fish, but I am wondering what I should do.

Should I try and keep some in the 35 Gal. and some in the 55 Gal.? Should I move them all into the 55 Gal.? Should I try and give away or sell the ones that will get huge? How fast will they get full grown anyway?

In the future I aim to have a 125 Gal. but that won't be doable where I live right now.

I must admit I am enjoying watching them all swim around my tank. I don't mind keeping multiple fishes I just want them to be healthy and happy. Also, I'm realizing I have become a fish tank dumping ground for those around me.

SKB, it's a koi angelfish, not a koi. So no worries there. The only fish that will need rehoming seem to be the Pleco, bala shark, and the knife fish. You might be able to do all four angelfish in the 55, but keep an eye out for aggression. If two pair up they can get a bit nasty. What kind of catfish is it? Some, like Cory catfish are small and will do fine in the 55 or the 35, but they need a group to be happy. Other kinds of catfish can get pretty big. Can we get a picture of this catfish?

Once you rehome the inappropriate fish, you will have room in that 55 to add some smaller fish if you want, too.

Thanks for the reply! I put the photos in my album but I'm having trouble posting them on the thread here. I have started to look for new homes for all but the angelfish.

Update: Today I went by my LFS and they took the extra fish in for store credit. :) So now I just have 4 angelfish. Very pleased!

Update: Today I went by my LFS and they took the extra fish in for store credit. :) So now I just have 4 angelfish. Very pleased!

Awesome! I love angels. Just keep an eye out for aggression between them, if two pair off they could start bullying the others.

Back
Top Bottom