new and want to learn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello guys. thanks for having me. im new to this. ive had a tank for a month. i have 2 white clouds and 2 platys. in a couple of years my aim is to have a tropical tank, but for now i have them in a fresh water tank, as the pets at home (a uk pet store) staff recommended this to me as these fish are temperate fish.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

oh i forgot to mention im from london england.

hello guys. thanks for having me. im new to this. ive had a tank for a month. i have 2 white clouds and 2 platys. in a couple of years my aim is to have a tropical tank, but for now i have them in a fresh water tank, as the pets at home (a uk pet store) staff recommended this to me as these fish are temperate fish.

Hi ginty, by the way my daughter married a great guy from Manchester .
My advice to you , first - don't make anything into a science project ! Keep things simple . Having a freshwater tank is easy . Understand the nitrogen cycle .
I find a canister filter works best . Maintain stable water parameters , PH , temperature . Stay with friendly community fish . Stay away from aggressive , territorial type fish , it's upsetting to see fish getting picked on and stressful to watch .
It's best to get the biggest tank your budget will allow . The initial cost is always hi , the enjoyment you will get from this hobby is priceless .
Adding aquatic plants is fun and natural for fish ,adds beauty and helps with water quality . Start out with hardy plants such as java fern .
Just remember keep it simple , don't make it into a science project ! Enjoy !

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

Hi Shellyx, thank you , my first time on here . This app is going to be fun and helpfull, educational to say the least .

Hope you enjoy the forum, lot's of helpful people here :)

Shellyx, thank you ! So far I think this is great , I wish this was around when I first started back in 1967! Thank you for your support !

Hi Ginty. Welcome to the Forum. I'm from Huddersfield so know Pets at Home quite well. Find yourself a good independent fish shop, look at their tanks, and try to stay away from big chain stores. In my bitter experience they don't give good advice. For good unbiased advice from people who have learned the hard way, ask away on here. No question too trivial or daft!

Hi Ginty. Welcome to the Forum. I'm from Huddersfield so know Pets at Home quite well. Find yourself a good independent fish shop, look at their tanks, and try to stay away from big chain stores. In my bitter experience they don't give good advice. For good unbiased advice from people who have learned the hard way, ask away on here. No question too trivial or daft!

thankyou scott. ive found a fish shop locally and the only sell fish. im going to go in there from now on.
i was starting to think this about pets at home. everytime i got in there i speak to someone different and get different answers. (which is very annoying)
at the moment as i said in my first message. I only have 4 fish while i am cycling my tank. its a 28l. im only keeping this until i feel im confident in what i am doing, and then im going to try and go tropical and get a bigger tank.
would you advise getting some live plants as i only have artificial at the moment. if so which ones? take into account i havent got a big tank.
thanks for your time.

please excuse my typing errors. i was rushing to get work as i was typing this this morning.

Hi Ginty.
I have a 25l quarantine tank with plastic plants (not my favourite) but they provide some cover for new or sick fish and are easy to clean. I also don't have artificial lighting, just from a nearby north facing window and any room lights. Even if this was my only tank I would imagine live plants could be difficult to establish. My main tank is 260l and heavily planted. So, if I were you I would hone your water skills, and therefore your fish keeping skills before starting on live plants if you get a larger tank.
Just my opinion though, many might disagree.
One last thing, over the years I have found that the larger the tank the easier to maintain stable water conditions. My 260l was a tight squeeze but a good choice.
Steve.

ok. thanks for the advice. im getying my water tested tomorrow to see how close or far i am from being fully cycled. your opinion is greatfully appreciated and i will take it with open arms. i checked the sexnof my platies and i have one male and one female. and the male doesnt leave the female alone. this is why i asked these questions. this is my tank. its got little mermaid because my 2year old daughter is really interested in the tank and was with me when i brought it.

Attachments

• 1390345745262.jpg
    1390345745262.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom