New here, advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackOZ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all from down under!New to the hobby, started with new 140ltr freshwater tank with the aim to house gouramis. Got anubias and two other low light plants I can not name, put 6 zebra danios to cycle. In two weeks testing of water seen no nitrite but gradual build up of ammonia and no nitrate (testing with API). Thinking it needs more ammonia put 4 more fish from the old 38ltr tank plus added bacteria from almost expired dated bottle of Cycle something rather.
When ammonia spiked in a few days to 8 and still no nitrite, panicked and put ammo lock, then when same reading for two days in ammonia (did not know that API shows both ammonia and ammonium which is what ammo lock does to ammonia) have removed all but one fish. Cloudy/milky water for a week, danios back in there, ammonia/ium still at 8. Doing partial water changes of 10-25% twice a week. Two weeks on no changes :(
Do I have to start with fresh water because I have used ammo lock that does still convert all ammonia and prevents cycling the tank???

Thanks for the advice!
Jack

Thanks for the advice and links !

I thought I will jump the waiting period by adding part of the filtering media from the old tank to the new ones canister (aqua one standard 700 issue), but this clearly did not work...

Have also briefly used macropore and bio-chem zorb media which probably messed with cycling even further instead of helping :/

Did anyone found use for the above and do you use ammo lock at all?

Ta,
Jack

JackOZ said:
Thanks for the advice and links !

I thought I will jump the waiting period by adding part of the filtering media from the old tank to the new ones canister (aqua one standard 700 issue), but this clearly did not work...

Have also briefly used macropore and bio-chem zorb media which probably messed with cycling even further instead of helping :/

Did anyone found use for the above and do you use ammo lock at all?

Ta,
Jack

It would certainly help to have some media from another tank. (y)
Basically all you need in your filter is mechanical filtration (floss and sponge) and biomedia. IMO biochem zorb, etc isn't needed. The absorbing products are a waste of money IMO. Not only do they 'steal' the ammonia and nitrite from the bacteria they can cause spikes in ammonia and nitrite when they become 'full'. The ammo lock will convert the ammonia to a less toxic form (as you know) and leave it available for the bacteria to consume. A product called SeaChem Prime will also do this as well as dechlorinate and bind heavy metals. I recommend getting it the next time you need water conditioner.
Ammo lock will help but it is not a replacement for water changes :)

Thanks for the advice!
Did a 80% water change and ammonia is down of course. Noticed brown and bearded algae to crop up already. Using yeast DYI CO2 and added water conditioning salts, 2x24w T5 lights for 8 hours I think doing it right? Oh yeah, also adding leaf zone weekly... Anubias are growing new shoots like crazy and bubbling away O2.
Going to read more on algae control, any pointers perhaps ?

Ta,
Jack

Back
Top Bottom