New to forums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freedom2011

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I'm new to the whole forum thing, it can be overwhelming. Hope to get the hang of it soon.
I'm in the process of setting up my 30 gal hex and 10 gal. It's been over 5 years since I've had them running. I've had aquariums since I was about 15(20 yrs ago lol) but wanted to research to refresh my memory and see what's new on market.
All the information is crazy, everyone has conflicting info but this forum has been very informative with best advice so far.
I setup my 30 gal last weds, used prime and have API liquid kit. I don't have any ammonia to get the fish less cycle going nor media from established tank like I've had in past.

So this is where I stand so far, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. My tap water readings ph is 8.4 amm 1.0. Tank readings today 7.8 high ph 1.0 amm .25 nitrite 0 nitrates. I added prime, removed carbon media replaced w recommended aqua clear ammonia remover media (not sure if good idea), increased temp to 84 and added fish flakes that's in panty hose.
I'm not sure what to do about my tap water conditions.
Please any suggestions on how to proceed or correct what I've done wrong?

I setup my 10 gal today but only added water decor and prime. I'm thinking about using it as quarantine tank.

Welcome to AA! :)

It sounds to me like you are off to a great start. I'd probably save any "ammonia removing" item for emergency use. You need ammonia to cycle the filter.

Welcome to AA! :)

It sounds to me like you are off to a great start. I'd probably save any "ammonia removing" item for emergency use. You need ammonia to cycle the filter.

That's what I was wondering cause it doesn't make since to remove ammonia at first since it needs to spike to get the cycle started. I hate that the cycles gonna take so long but I've waited five years and I'm against putting fish through the process.;). I'm still searching for ammonia around town!

Back
Top Bottom