NEWBIE in Staten Isl. NY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stateniland

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello.. just filled up my first tank. 75g acrylic.. I added a few cheap testers and all died within a week :( .. Water will not clear up, very cloudy. Filter has been on 24/7. I asked local petshops if they do maintance. they do but for rediculous prices.
I do water changes..
Dont know what else to do before adding more fish.
ANYONE near me on S.I. that could stop bye and give a look see?
thank you all
Joe

Welcome to AA! :)

You probably want to read up on cycling before you add anymore fish. In a nutshell, you need a proper ammonia source, bacteria forms to consume ammonia and creates nitrite, a different bacteria forms that consumes nitrite and produces nitrate. Both ammonia and nitrite are deadly to fish so it's important to get a test kit and monitor their levels. Water changes remove the nitrate. Make sure to use temp matched water and a good dechlor product (Prime is my fav). Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have!

welcome aboard.

I'm going through the same thing with a 20g for my daughter... Cycling.

Do you have a water test kit?

quick note... 3 cap fulls of ammonia in a 20g shoots it way way way (50%, 30% and a 75% PWC) over 8ppm!

use a few drops in the fishless cycleto gradually bring it up.... and find 100% ammonia. Only place I could find unadulterated ammonia was Ace Hardware.

Hello.. just filled up my first tank. 75g acrylic.. I added a few cheap testers and all died within a week :( .. Water will not clear up, very cloudy. Filter has been on 24/7. I asked local petshops if they do maintance. they do but for rediculous prices.
I do water changes..
Dont know what else to do before adding more fish.
ANYONE near me on S.I. that could stop bye and give a look see?
thank you all
Joe
Welcome aboard. You came to the right place.

Last edited:
Welcome to AA. 1st As everyone else said you must first cycle the tank and 2nd did you clean the gravel before you put it in the tank because the tank shouldn't be ridiculously cloudy nor will it be crystal clear until after the tank has cycled.
Did you buy the fish and tank from the same people? If so find a new fish store.

thank you ALL.....yes it is FRESHWATER.. most likely when water CAN sustain life I will be adding Discus..I did order a Ph tester.. I have been doing water changes to help clear up water but I realize I do need to find out the Ph , ammonia and nitrate levels of my tap water..
Thanks for ALL the replies and your time
Joe
Staten Island NY

Welcome to AA. read up on cycling. discus like the heat and clean water. might want to start with a little more hardy fish until you get the hang of it. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom