Noob with new tank syndrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fritzzyme and dr tims actually have some science backing them up so I wouldn't call them useless. There are lots of solid test results out there, and those two particular products contain the same bacteria found in an established tank, so it's not just dumping in a random chemical and praying. However with any living organism there's no certainty with how things might work out so don't put all your faith in it.

Couldn't have said it any better, jetajockey. Supposedly fritz-zyme is the stuff professionals use to set up those elaborate custom tanks, and are able to add fish immediately. I know this sounds ridiculous, but ever see that show Tanked? How the heck do they set up a tank and risk thousands of dollars worth of fish in there without it being run first. They must be doing something right!

creic38 said:
Couldn't have said it any better, jetajockey. Supposedly fritz-zyme is the stuff professionals use to set up those elaborate custom tanks, and are able to add fish immediately. I know this sounds ridiculous, but ever see that show Tanked? How the heck do they set up a tank and risk thousands of dollars worth of fish in there without it being run first. They must be doing something right!

Well there's alot of editing, as with any "reality " show. They always script and chop things up to suit their needs.

The reason why many people are dubious about bacteria supplements is because there's been a rash of products that aren't much more than snakeoil. They legitimize themselves based on outdated science and/or lack of disclosure in regard to their contents.

Agreed. And I know they edit/chop up those shows. But for sure they do not build those tanks an wait 6 weeks for a cycle. I don't think anyone spending that kind of money on an aquarium of that magnitude is waiting for it to cycle "properly". For me, I do find joy in cycling a tank and spending that time waiting (anxiously) and deciding what I will be putting in there. I'm doing it now. It is running with nothing in it but gravel, heater, air stone and water (haha). There is established media/gravel in there, and a pinch or two of flake food. While it gets up to speed, I will add stuff here and there and watch it come to life. This is the best way, and I hope the op has learned and will continue the journey. It is a hard lesson learned, keeping a fish tank, and we've all been there.

creic38 said:
Agreed. And I know they edit/chop up those shows. But for sure they do not build those tanks an wait 6 weeks for a cycle. I don't think anyone spending that kind of money on an aquarium of that magnitude is waiting for it to cycle "properly". For me, I do find joy in cycling a tank and spending that time waiting (anxiously) and deciding what I will be putting in there. I'm doing it now. It is running with nothing in it but gravel, heater, air stone and water (haha). There is established media/gravel in there, and a pinch or two of flake food. While it gets up to speed, I will add stuff here and there and watch it come to life. This is the best way, and I hope the op has learned and will continue the journey. It is a hard lesson learned, keeping a fish tank, and we've all been there.

Hi guys yeah!! Well i have done a few water changes and my nitrite level has drastically lowered and now it is 0.1mg/l and before it was around 1.5mg/l so good news!!
My LFS said the more water changes I do the more 'good bacteria' I lose. So I was thinking maybe now just leave the water changes?
Also I bought an ammonia test kit and that is indicating 0 levels! So that's positive also!
Fingers crossed my nitrite level over time will lower to completely 0 but just wondering if my LFS gave me good advice?
Im Feeding my poor little neon tetras once every 2/3 days :(
Hope they'll be ok!
Also I may have to download the show tanked! Is it American? Sounds awesome.
Cheers guys for the sound info.

And another thing he sold me some tetra safe start. Which has live bacteria in it. I stuck some in there in the hope it may help out in the long run.

That's good news! Don't worry about the fish....they will be ok. You get yourself into a routine of feeding them once a day, just an amount they will gobble up in 2-3 minutes. This will help a lot in controlling left over food and minimize waste. They will always look hungry, so don't fall for that! Haha.....keep up the food work. Oh, and there isn't any bacteria in the water column. It grows on surfaces. Keep up with weekly water changes using Prime to treat tap water.

creic38 said:
That's good news! Don't worry about the fish....they will be ok. You get yourself into a routine of feeding them once a day, just an amount they will gobble up in 2-3 minutes. This will help a lot in controlling left over food and minimize waste. They will always look hungry, so don't fall for that! Haha.....keep up the food work. Oh, and there isn't any bacteria in the water column. It grows on surfaces. Keep up with weekly water changes using Prime to treat tap water.

Prime? What's that?
Also I've notice I have snails in my tank. I noticed one tiny snail and now iv got 3 or 4!
Have you had much experience with them?

creic38 said:

image-4038160252.jpg

This is the little snail in my tank they're slowly growing and I'm
Hoping they won't eat my plants!! Some people iv asked said they won't eat my plants and are very good against algae but some have said they eat plants.
The snail looks like it has coned shell. And they reproduce crazy fast!

Prime, as many will tell you, is the best water conditioner on the market. I won't get into specifics, but it makes your tap water safe for the tank. Can't really tell from that picture what type of snail that is, but if you don't want them in there, pick them out by hand. Don't use any of those chemicals from the store! You can lure them out with them out with a piece of lettuce or cucumber as well. Throw it in, shut off the lights for a little while and sneak attack! You have to weigh down the lettuce if you go that route.

creic38 said:
Prime, as many will tell you, is the best water conditioner on the market. I won't get into specifics, but it makes your tap water safe for the tank. Can't really tell from that picture what type of snail that is, but if you don't want them in there, pick them out by hand. Don't use any of those chemicals from the store! You can lure them out with them out with a piece of lettuce or cucumber as well. Throw it in, shut off the lights for a little while and sneak attack! You have to weigh down the lettuce if you go that route.

Okay I may just take out the snails everytime I see them. My main goal was to have a lush planted aquarium and I'd hate to have some little snails eat them all up!
If I was to leave lettuce or cucumber in, wouldn't my waste levels go up? Or would it not matter for only one night?

Wouldn't matter for one night. Just don't let it rot in there. Where did you get your plants? Were there snails in that tank? It probably hitchhiked.

Back
Top Bottom