Returning Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mhellweg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. Last year, my grandson got 2 geckos for his birthday and I inherited his mini tank of 3 zebras and 2 corys. I've had tanks in the past but that was before the age of the internet (I'm dating myself here) and although the tanks lasted for a couple of years, I have so much to learn.

A little over a month ago, I decided I would upgrade this mini tank and bought a 20 gallon tank. I have wanted to get back into the hobby for quite some time and so I took the plunge (excuse the pun). It was a rocky start. I moved the decorations from the old tank into the new and 2 Amazon Swords and let it cycle for about 1-1/2 weeks. Put in my existing fish and everything was going fine. Added 2 danios and 6 neons and then got a huge ammonia spike which took out 5 of the 6 neons. Got it stabilized added 6 more neons and same thing. Numbers still good, went to different store this time and I'm happy to say, all are doing great!

I'm slowly adding plants and rocks and intend on removing the faux plants as the live ones grow Next addition...driftwood. I've attached a picture of my tank. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. The plant at the back right corner... Could anyone tell me if that is an Amazon Sword or it is something different. It was sold to me as an Amazon but it looks so different than the one in the middle.

Aquarium-2 209200818.jpg

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! :welcome: It looks like you have got a pretty solid start there! Both of those plants look like two different Anubias. The one in the middle may just be an emersed amazon sword. You will quickly be able to tell once it starts growing its underwater leaves. The anubias will not do well planted in gravel and need attached to a piece of driftwood or aquarium decor where they can anchor.

Yeah, I thought at least one of them wasn't a Amazon sword. The one in the back right corner has thick roots, the one in the middle has real fine roots (or maybe those aren't roots but runners?). The one in the left corner is a Java Fern Windelov. Should I attach any or all of these to rocks or driftwood or should I just leave them as is?

Anubias and java ferns should be attached to driftwood or rocks, not planted. I use superglue (look for cyanoacrylate on the label). If you plant the rhizome of these plant types in the substrate it will likely rot and the plant will die.

It’s possible that they’re both amazon swords, there’s a few different species. Look up pictures of Anubius and see if the base of the plant looks similar to yours. I second that both Anubius and java fern need to be attached to driftwood or rocks rather than planted. I personally use those ties you get with electric appliances or fishing wire to tie them.

As far as the fish go, sounds like you’ve learned that neons can be sensitive! It does make a big difference where you get them- if you see they’re all very skinny at the store they probably won’t make it.

Also adding 8 fish all at once to a tank with only 5 fish isn’t a good idea. It’s better to do it gradually (1-2 at a time) to avoid the ammonia spike, especially in such a new tank of this size.

I’d also recommend adding 3 more Corys to have 5 total, they’re a shoaling fish and will be very happy to have more of their kind!

Otherwise you seem to be doing really well!

Last edited by a moderator:
I un-planted the Java fern and attached it to one of the decorations. I was told it would be OK planted by the sales guy but I took your advise instead. Looks great!

I also moved the gravel on the other two plants and they look like they both have crowns. The one in the middle is actually growing quite well (it's almost as tall as the water level now) and has new growth from the middle. The other doesn't have any new stems but the leaves/stems are getting bigger and have reached the surface. Does that info lead you to believe they're Swords or Anubius?

p.s. I did some research but i found info that pretty much said either could have crowns or rhyiazomes so I'm confused.

For the Java fern OR Anubias there is a main part which looks like a stalk / main stem / Rhizome (usually has roots coming off of it ) with the stem then leaf.

The part the leaves attach to ("stem" /rhizome) should not be buried, as it tends to rot. Their roots can go into the substrate though and that is okay.

This link might work give it a second, and it should show a nice Anubias attached to a rock from aquarium coop
anubias do not plant - Google Search

There is a video if the pic doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom