acrylic...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
the guy at the glass shop says that the acrylic polycarbonate is what I need for my sump is that right? He says that its not plexiglass. Just want to make sure before I go buy it.

Oh, well im getting some scrap pieces for 15 bucks and its all i need so I guess it will be fine. Off to get it now. I read a lot of places not to use plexi glass cause it flexes to much or something.

wow its 3/8" thick.... Cant score this stuff and snap it. They guy at the glass shop said that is how they do it... They must have WAY better tools than I have.

I did and took it to home depot and they wouldnt cut it for me... ... Well the diamond tip makes sense haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plexiglass is a generic name for acrylic there a several large companies that make acrylic sheets and such that are all close to the same compisition. 3/8 you will have to cut with a table saw.

You want to use a medium tooth jig saw blade to course and it break the acrylic and to fine it will melt the acrylic and clog the blade.

The skill saw will work that way also.

You want to use a medium tooth jig saw blade to course and it break the acrylic and to fine it will melt the acrylic and clog the blade.

The skill saw will work that way also.
A fine jigsaw blade will not clog if you put it on slow speed and advance the saw slowly, and IMO will give you a cleaner cut with less chance of chipping the acrylic. On another note you should put masking or painters tape on both sides of the acrylic where you are going to cut and cut through it just for insurance.

well I cut it and apparently my measurements were off about 1 1/6 inch haha going to shave it down tomorrow. Man its hard to cut this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom