Add a bit more flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys

Ive added a few more plants to my aquarium.
I have 4 guppies, 3 platties, 4 bronze corydoras and i have 1 swordtail left (i wont be getting any more)
I have a 110litre tank and i run a fluval 206 external filter and i have my lights on for 7hours a day.

ive noticed my anubias has got some black fury algae on it.
My filter outflow is the opposite end of the tank. And i noticed the leaves on the anubias doesnt move much and some mentioned i may need more flow.

Anyone recommend something i can add that isnt too big and looks unsightly in my tank. I got rid of an internal filter because they take up room and are unsightly in the tank.

Also i dont want to make things too complicated or expensive. I know people recommend co2 equiptment. This is going to add more expense for me and cant really afford it. I would like to keep things as simple as possible

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well if you really don't want to spend anything you could feed your fish less and cut down on light hours, possibly an extra water change every now and again as well. This would minimise the spread of the algae but it is still possible. Or you could spend money on achieving more flow. Both would reduce chance of the algae spreading. I wouldn't recommend a CO2 system as this will just make the algae grow faster which is not good. This is a problem you will have to treat now otherwise it could end up killing your plants eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for your reply. I do a water change every saturday.
I think ill try add more flow. Any suggestions on what i can get?
I dont want it too powerful as i dont want to throw my fish all around the tank. Lol

Well it depends on how strong the outlet of the external filter is. How many litres per hour is it?

780 lph

Well you normally want something 10times the amount of litres in your tank. So you have 730lph so I would just go a bit over and try and get a pump that is 400lph. That will give sufficient flow.

Are these any good do you think?
Do these ones have to stand upright or is it ok to put them on the side of the glass?

Attachments

• 1427443463177.jpg
    1427443463177.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 61
They will do and they are fine for being put on the side of the glass.

Back
Top Bottom