Added a new canister filter, out with the old one or keep it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edmond

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had an eheim 2236 canister filter which is rated for 60 gallons for the past 3 years. I've upgraded to a Rena XP3 which is rated for 165 gallons a few days ago. Both of them are now running simultaneously.

I am thinking that two of them would be a lot of maintenance and remembering about changing/cleaning media for both. So I was thinking that I would take some of the bio balls media from the eheim and put into one of the chambers of the Rena.

How long should I run them both simultaneously before the Rena can take over completely?

Or do you suggest I keep both of them? I can just keep the bio balls media in the eheim and have different pads as needed in the Rena? Any other configurations you guys would suggest?

My Tank:
50 gallon SW tank with about 70 lbs of live rock.

Livestock: 2 clowns, firefish, lawnmower blenny, 6 line wrasse, mandarin dragonette. 10 hermit crabs, 5 snails and 2 emerald crabs.

Coral: bubble coral, small hammer head coral, small frogspawn, rose anemone.

Equipment: Rena XP3 & Eheim 2234 canister filters, inline uv filter, red sea hang on protein skimmer, 220W CFL Lighting.

probably some kind of sump setup would have been best.

as it is right now, I probably would dismantle and sell the old canister.
you could run two if you wanted to increase the current/flow, but 165G should be plenty and two canisters might look messy.
you could always add powerheads to increase flow, as well.

but maybe you want keep both for a week or two as the new filter gets settled in.

Back
Top Bottom