Air pump question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have the TetraTec AP30 to run a little PenPlax corner filter on one side of my divided tank (breeding side). I just purchased this really neet bubble strip thing. It is about 24" long and made of some weird material and the bubbles that come up from it are awesome!!! Well, they look cool if the pump is pwerful enough to power it. That is my problem. I bought a new pump yesterday with two outlets on it, Elite 802 airpump. Anyway, this thing was soooooooooooooooo loud and just a little to much of overkill on airbubbles for my 20 gallon. :wink:
What would be a suffient size airpump to run the penplax corner filter and tee off to also run this neat bubble strip thing? :?:

You can buy little valves for your pumps. You cut out a section of the airline and insert the valve and then reduce the air flow. This makes things much quieter and no so bubbly. I use this on the pump I have for my 5 gallon betta tank. Works like a charm.

Thank you for the tip!!!
but, the noise is the pump itself. Is it because of the airflow or is that size/brand just noisy??

It is the airflow in my experience. My pump by itself made lots of noise but by slowing the output it got much quieter.

some pumps are just noisey too ... try setting it on a towel, or hide it under your stand / something ... the more hidden it is the less it'll bother you :)

I gave up air pumps because they're too noisey - can't stand that HUMMMMM

Yes. I will have to agree. The hmmmmmmm sound is a little bothersome when it is quiet (like never.. ha, ha) in the house :lol:
I have a Penguin HOB Biowheel filter because I didn't want the pumps (and it is a great filter!! :) )but this bubble thing was soooooooooooo cool when i saw it, I just had to have it. I was running the little air pump for ht ecorner filter and it was actually very quiet. I just didn't relize the bigger you went... the noiser it was too!!! Duh!?!?! I guess i should have figured that one :roll:
Well, I just traded the Elite 802 for the smaller version, an 801 single. I had the guy at the LFS plug it in first to see how loud it was. It was considerable quieter. Wow! What a difference going from the 2 output to the single! :wink: Now, let's see how quiet it is once I get it home and hook it up. I hope it will be powerfull enough to run the corner filter and the flexable bubble bar. The guy said it would, but he might just want the sell... if ya' know what i mean.

you only need them when you don't have enough aireation.
they cause surface agitation, which helps the exchange of O2 to happen.

actually, the bigger pumps are usually quieter than the small ones

my tetratec deep is a lot quieter than my profile, and the tetratec is for a 100+ gallons, the profile is for 5 to 10 gallons

of course, the tetratec cost like $50, and the profile cost around $8

FWIW

Get a Rena pump. They are nearly silent. They're a little more expensive then the Tetratecs, but they are worth it. WELL worth it.

Well, I have to exchange the Elite 801 single output, back for the Elite 802 dual. The 801 was not strong enough to pump the filter and the bubble strip. :roll:
It was much quieter. I guess I will just have to try setting it on a towel.... Is this safe? and also get the valves to slow down some of the bubbles.
I would try a different brand but the guy only carries these two and I had in-store credit.

Back
Top Bottom