Any comments Hydor ETH In-Line (UL) Aquarium Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharktale

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm updating some of my aquarium equipment, I want this heater has anyone know something about it thank you! Hydor ETH In-Line (UL) Aquarium Heater

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have over a dozen of these ETH heaters on Eheim canisters. They have worked great over the years with no problems.

Personally I have all my ETH heaters NOW connected to external heater controllers which allow me to control multiple heaters at one time and to see the tank temperature at a glance.

The heaters always worked fine when using their internal controller but I trust the more expensive external controller better and it has more features.

Because the external heater control is just a knob that can turn easily be careful that you do not position the heater where it might be brushed against and have it turned accidently.............

Personally I have all my ETH heaters NOW connected to external heater controllers which allow me to control multiple heaters at one time and to see the tank temperature at a glance.

The heaters always worked fine when using their internal controller but I trust the more expensive external controller better and it has more features.

Because the external heater control is just a knob that can turn easily be careful that you do not position the heater where it might be brushed against and have it turned accidently.............

yeah interesting ... you have a pic of your setup? or the link to your controller on amazon or something?

thanks

Here is the controller I use on all eight of my tanks.

Aquarium Heating & Temperature Control: JBJ True Temp Digital Heater Controller

There are other similar ones on the market but I like this one because of:
1) The large LEDs showing the current tanks temperature at a glance
2) The long removable cord on the temperature sensor placed in the tank
3) The orange activity LED that shows when the controller is activated
4) The ability to handle up to 1000w of power (3 - 300 watt heaters if needed)
5) That multiple heaters all turn on/off at once (evenly heating the tank)
6) That you no longer need to worry about cheap internal heater locking "ON"

Basically you turn up any attached heater to a temperature a few degrees above where you set the controller. Then you set the controller where you want power activated. When the temperature drops below that point power is feed in to the heaters (which all fire immediately) and will run until the controller cuts off power again. This keeps the heater internal thermostats from turning on/off which can stick and fry your fish.

I would much rather trust the electronics in a better controller than the cheap stuff they throw inside a heater. On my larger tanks I run multiple canisters each with a 300w ETH heater all connected to a common controller.

The only down side is that the controllers work on a 1 degree swing each way. If you set the controller to 75 degrees for instance it will fire when the tank temperature drops to 74 and shut off when it reaches 76. That might not be fine enough for some species...............

ok nice .. thx for all the details! I dont think I will be able to run an eth as I have an fx6 which has 1" tubing and the current range of eth's dont go to that size (they said they are looking into it though). But I think I may still use the controller on my 2 internals.

thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom