Anyone use MH bulbs on eBay? Price too good to be true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's time for me to order new MH bulbs for my annual New Years Day replacement. I have been under the impression that MH bulbs should be good for 12 months or more before the color spectrum starts shifting too much. I was all set to order a set of Ushio bulbs from HelloLights whenI decided to check on eBay. I found these 150W HQI 10K DE METAL HALIDE BULB LAMP MARINE REEF for $9.99 ea. plus $10.00 shipping. The seller told me the bulbs should last 6 - 8 months if I used them 10 hours a day.

Thoughts?

They are listed as:
150 watt HQI DE Metal Halide Aquarium Reef Bulb 10,000k (kelvin)
*Brand New in the Box*
*High Quality & Long Life*
*T7 RX7S Base*
*Horizontal Burn Position*
*(DE) Double-Ended Metal Halide bulb*
*Distinct Blue Tint Full spectrum light*
*Blue ocean depths effect*
*Replacement lamp for any 150 watt Double-Ended HQI Metal Halide M81 Ballast*
SAME COLOR QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE AS
Coralife & ReefLux & USHIO Brands
Best For Reef Aquarium Setups [Retail price $50-$70]

I'm kind of curious now, but does your lighting have the:
Double-Ended HQI Metal Halide M81 Ballast
Specifically the M81 Ballast?
I don't know too much about the specific ballasts or if that is simply a standard...?
It looks like the seller has a good business, only a very few amount of negatives, as opposed to positives.

The M81 ballast is an ANSI standard, so most fixtures are M81 compliant.

He does do a lot of business. I think I'll order a set and see how it goes. I can get 3 bulbs for just slightly more than the price of 1 brand name bulb.

Thanks Scott.

I bought 2 175 14K SE bulbs from Greatdel for like $10 each. The bulbs had a 60 day warranty. One lasted about 45 days and the seller replaced it. The other bulb lasted about 3 months.
I've been using metal halide bulbs for almost 20 years and NEVER had a bulb actually go out. I always just replaced them after 12 months. These 2 bulbs would not fire after a relatively short time. They did have nice color, but I don't know what kind of PAR they have.
Back to name brand bulbs for me.

I have purchased the 175 watt SE type bulbs from trustdeals and they are awesome. Have not had any problems. I wish they were around when I had to pay the $70 a bulb. Everyone has their own opinion, but for the money, these are great to me.

Thanks Timbo. I bought 3 of the 150w DE from trusdeals and I agree that thy are awesome. I expected to see a difference from my 1 yr old bulbs but these are so much brighter (subjectively).
I just wish I had a meter to check PAR throughout the tank.

If they last they are the deal of the year.

Back
Top Bottom