AquaClear issues lately, Made video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so.... A lot of members are having issues with there AquaClear filters and it upsets me when anyone is having issues with a tank or piece of equipment. This is a rather horrible video but I made it it hope to help others.

Also a lot of people have asked me what I run in my filters, media wise. Please forgive the quality. I already got one dislike lol. It's all good...

If this helps just one person it's worth it, you can hear me talking so low lol. The whole house is asleep.

75 gallon "mixed" African cichlid tank at night - YouTube

I love the way the light caught the eyes of all your fish. And of course the bubbler has to be mentioned...

Nice video.

I responded to the other post that was about this. I simply went to another store and bought the same model. The second one is so quiet that I have to check it just to make sure it's still running. The first one was noisy right out of the box and got a little noisier each day so I swapped it out. I first ran both side by side to make sure. I run mine with 2 sponges and 1 bio media bag on top. I love my AC20!

this seems like as good of a place as any to post this rather than start a whole new topic.

I just picked up my AC 70, and got it all hooked up, filled the tank with water, however I couldnt get the tube to hold water and in place, the water would run out before that, so I had to run it with the tube dry until it sucked the water in, now there is a small air bubble in the elbow of the intake tube at the top, is this normal or something I should try and work out?

Try swing the intake back and forth from full flow to minimum flow rate. This is happening with my AC-20. I also pour a cup of tank water into the filter right on top of where the intake goes into where the impeller is.

That worked, all set up now, got great flow, it is somewhat loud but will take it apart and check the impeller then give it a couple of weeks to see if the grinding noises go away.

so I took my ac 70 apart this afternoon and put some vaseline on the impeller shaft, it quieted it down, when I came back home a few hours later, I actually heard the filter when I was coming down the hall, through a closed door, not a good sign, it had gotten just as loud again, so I pulled it apart and reapplied the vaseline, it quieted it down, but with in an hour it was just as noisy again.

is this noise something that will dissipate or did I get a lemon that I should return for a new one?

Ok so.... A lot of members are having issues with there AquaClear filters and it upsets me when anyone is having issues with a tank or piece of equipment. This is a rather horrible video but I made it it hope to help others.

Also a lot of people have asked me what I run in my filters, media wise. Please forgive the quality. I already got one dislike lol. It's all good...

If this helps just one person it's worth it, you can hear me talking so low lol. The whole house is asleep.

75 gallon "mixed" African cichlid tank at night - YouTube

Thanks! I love tanks at night!

so I took the filer apart again, lubed the impeller shaft,and then I popped the plastic blade piece off the impeller magnet and wrapped its seat with teflon plumbers tape to snug it up, put it all back together, and its still just as noisy as before.

so I took the filer apart again, lubed the impeller shaft,and then I popped the plastic blade piece off the impeller magnet and wrapped its seat with teflon plumbers tape to snug it up, put it all back together, and its still just as noisy as before.

Call the company. They will ship you a new impeller free of charge.

The filter may quiet down some after a bio film developes on the magnet. I love the filters, but they do have an element of noise to them. Guess it's a trade off;)

I will give them a call, if its not the impeller what else could it be? as far as I know it is the only moving part yes? the only other thing it could possibly be is if the shaft that the impeller goes on is bent correct? it looks straight as far as I can tell, so hopefully getting a new impeller will fix the problem.

how long did it take you to get the impeller? I want to make sure if it does not work I still have time to get it back to the store for a refund.

I will give them a call, if its not the impeller what else could it be? as far as I know it is the only moving part yes? the only other thing it could possibly be is if the shaft that the impeller goes on is bent correct? it looks straight as far as I can tell, so hopefully getting a new impeller will fix the problem.

how long did it take you to get the impeller? I want to make sure if it does not work I still have time to get it back to the store for a refund.

3-4 days it was at my house and yes that's the ONLY moving part in the system

the noise is annoying, but I agree I love the filter, if I wasnt able to sort it out i would probably just learn to live with it and hope it goes away, of course this is after i exhaust all of my options, such as getting the new impeller and then exchanging it.

thanks for the quick reply convict, I hope I dont have to go through what you went through to get the impeller dealing with crappy CS lol.

And honestly if you did all that cleaning etc, I'm not sure why its making so much noise. Mine are so quite. I don't get it.

I dont get it either, its very odd, I took the lid off, made sure 3 or 4 times its level and sitting right, made sure everything fit together tight, I lubed the impeller shaft I put the plumbers tape on the seat of the plastic piece,

I even thought maybe it had something to do with the way it was in contact with the tank, and lifted the filter up so it was not touching the tank at all but was still functioning, and it still made the noise, I am gonna try and take some video of it right now and see if I can capture the noise its making.

I get some noise from the cover vibrating, sounds like a buzzing noise. You might try taking the lid off, and see if it helps.

oh man alive, when you called did it repeat this message over and over? "thank you for calling hagen, our hours are 8:30 am til 4:30 pm est, please do not hang up and redial" over and over and over and over, must have heard it 25 times now.

I wonder if they are open on saturday since it does not list which days those hours are for.

oh man alive, when you called did it repeat this message over and over? "thank you for calling hagen, our hours are 8:30 am til 4:30 pm est, please do not hang up and redial" over and over and over and over, must have heard it 25 times now.

I wonder if they are open on saturday since it does not list which days those hours are for.

No it gave me options for tech, customer service etc etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom