Aqueon water changer ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I got one of these and I think I might be doing something wrong. I hook up everything correctly. At least I think. I make sure all the valves are tight and for some reason my suction isn't strong at all! Even when the sink is on full blast. I have sand substrate and it can barely suck up the poop and waste from the bottom if any. It does fine sucking up water but nothing else. Is it suppose to be like this?? Before I would just use tubing to suck out all the waste instead of using a gravel vac so I don't get all the sand in there. Please help! Thanks

I have a 50 footer and have a similar "slow flow" issue. The problem for me is simply. The long distance the water has to travel combined with the fact that draw and discharge points are almost at the same height lvl means me water pressure is powerful enough to cause a strong draw. My tank is about 35 feet from the kitchen sink I use. The tank sits a bit higher that counter height.

I have thought about making some type of rig with a impeller pump to increase draw pressure but not sure its worth the :facepalm:hassle.

If you have a flow regulator in you faucet (insert that fits inside the faucet end) usually has a plastic housing. Removing it can increase water flow out of the faucet. which would increase the suction slightly.

Last edited:
Mine is 50 foot also. My tank is also a little higher then the sink. Could this be it :/

So I got one of these and I think I might be doing something wrong. I hook up everything correctly. At least I think. I make sure all the valves are tight and for some reason my suction isn't strong at all! Even when the sink is on full blast. I have sand substrate and it can barely suck up the poop and waste from the bottom if any. It does fine sucking up water but nothing else. Is it suppose to be like this?? Before I would just use tubing to suck out all the waste instead of using a gravel vac so I don't get all the sand in there. Please help! Thanks
I have a similar issue too. I'm thinking of getting a small external pump and using that for removing the water.....

I just bought a marineland 1100 pump to suck out water and fill tank up with water i prepared in a tub it makes life real easy

Also depends on your water pressure. The first 1 I had was a 50 ft and did great in Conway Arkansas. The same one in Wichita Falls Texas is junk. Water pressure in the house here is low. That seriously reduces the venturi effect. Be careful if u decide to build a pump for suctioning. Use the weakest pump that will get the job done.

I think the easiest fix would be a drill pump like this one. The mechanics use them on the boat yard. just attach to the siphon and your drill and let it rip!

SELF-PRIMING DRILL PUMP (JABSCO)

Provides a very versatile means of transferring fluid almost anywhere an electric drill with 1/4" to 3/8" chuck can be operated. Pumps up to 3-1/2 gpm, self-priming to 3', 1/4" diameter shaft, supplied with 3/4" garden hose thread port adapters, connections for 1/2" ID hose and 3/4" GHT female threaded fittings. Size: 3-5/16" L x 3-1/2" W x 2-3/16" H. Model 17215 includes drain hose and suction tube.

Manufacturer: RULE
Manufacturer Part #:172500003

B0019IQKJW
. Here is a link to the pump

294 GPHi s a very slow pump if you have a big aquarium. Do you guys live an apt. where you cant drain it outside? If not, just drain the water the lawn or outside and when done use it to fill the aquarium.

294 GPHi s a very slow pump if you have a big aquarium. Do you guys live an apt. where you cant drain it outside? If not, just drain the water the lawn or outside and when done use it to fill the aquarium.

Have you try to start a siphon on a 50 hose!?! Its not going to happen with lung power thats for sure. Lol The pump is to increase flow over long distance. Changing the Discharge point to ground lvl (3ft) would change the flow rate much in that length of hose.

I have the same water changer.Mine works. Just fine make sure you have the rubber gasket on where the hose connects to the sink adapter and that all the adapter parts are tight.If it still doesn't work take it back.The sink adapter is just a copy of a water bed filler emptier except a water hose was used for the beds instead of the clear vinyl hose.

Have you try to start a siphon on a 50 hose!?! Its not going to happen with lung power thats for sure. Lol The pump is to increase flow over long distance. Changing the Discharge point to ground lvl (3ft) would change the flow rate much in that length of hose.

Who said to siphon using lung power? I stated that the pump is a very slow pump- even mines @ 400GPH is slow. It was to change the pump to one that pumping more water flow. Unless you dont mind the slow pump. I switch it around at time.

Sometimes I do it like this;
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/tank-maintanance-and-how-i-do-it-282183.html

Other times I start a siphon the 50ft waterhose. Point is if you have low water pressure you will be wasting water like crazy and be there forever. Water pressure is very not strong and at the same time I can water the plants and lawn. If you live in apt. I understand that this might not be an option.

Back
Top Bottom