Best 5/10 gal tank/filter/heater for my Crown Tail Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

32blownhemi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone, I'm a new-be that got a Betta & a Top Line 3 1/2 gal tank for my Birthday! I'd like to get my little guy a bigger tank & want a really good one. 5-10 Gal. Also a good filter. And if I get a filter that's overkill will it filter better (keep the tank cleaner)? Thank You! Bill

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180510-205055_resized.jpg
    Screenshot_20180510-205055_resized.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20180510-205141_resized.jpg
    Screenshot_20180510-205141_resized.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 71
Hi Bill, your adult male betta would love a 5-10g nothing tall. A hang on the back filter with adjustable flow will do just fine. Plastic plants can hurt them. And a heater that's adjustable too, set at 78-80 (keep it steady). Keep up on water changes and cleanings and he'll do great. I post a lot about betta's. The more we know about them, the better we can care for them and the longer life they will live with us. Enjoy!

Thank You Angel! Oh no, the plastic plants hurt him! He loves to hid in them. I wonder if he knows he's the same color as the plants? He hides in the plastic ones that are the same color as he is instead of the green plants? Any 10 gal tank as long as it's not tall? Or are certain manufactures better than others? Same with the filter. What's the best one? Thank You! Bill

Plastic plants can, but not always. I like the whispers adjustable flow filters. But I'm sure there's better ones. And tanks I like the ones from petco. Think they are tetra. Just don't get one from Wal-Mart, they are thin. Heaters, I go with the aqueon ajustsble 50 watt always. Sponge filters are ok. But I think the hang on the back filter better.

Welcome to the community Bill. I have really liked my Aqueon 50w on my 10g along with my Hydor 150w on my 29g. The Hydor might be a tad more accurate but they are both good heaters in my opinion. I'm running a AquaClear 30 on my 10g turned halfway back and love it. You could probably get away with a AC 20 since your not going to have a huge bio load. Hope this can help you out a little bit on your decisions

Thank You Angel & jfhrtn! Neither Petco nor Pet Smart have the Tetra. But on-line Walmart does. Is there a possibility the Tetra from Walmart is a lower quality Tetra? I've heard in some cases a large company (such as Tetra) makes a product that's especially for a discount chain (such as Walmart) that's of lower quality. I put on one of those digital thermometers & the temp is at 76 degrees so I need a heater. The local pet store sold me one that doesn't have a dial to set the temp on so I'll return it. I'm thinking of a Hydor 50 watt. Is this ok? Thank You! Bill

Hey Bill apologies for the long reply time. Had a few things in the family to take care of but the Hydor 50w should be a pretty good choice. I've really liked my Hydor 150w on my 29g tank. Not totally sure if the Tetra from Walmart is of lower quality but i can say when I first got into the hobby I had a Tetra 10 filter with those replaceable cartridges. Once really started doing my research I stuck with AquaClear filters just for the fact if something breaks it can be rebuilt. Not only that but every time you replace a cartridge in a nano filter you lose a good portion on your beneficial bacteria. If you can get a filter with a "bio media" and/or a sponge in the filter you can simply get some tank water in a bucket and rinse the filter media off then place it back in the filter and your good to go. That is one thing I wish I would have known from the very beginning. I hope this can help you out

I got my 29g from Petco when they had their $1 per gallon sale and no problems so far (knocking on wood). Seems like a well built tank but I would do a visual inspection upon buying any brand tank. Looking for air bubbles in seals, chips on corners, or scratches in the glass.

Thank You jfhrtn & Coral! No apology necessary! All I've been doing is changing my mind on what I want Lol... You know, I went to Amazon & there were NO heaters without a least a few bad reviews. And we're talking reviews such as "I woke up & my fish were cooked"... So hence, I still haven't bought a heater. I'm just keeping the water at 78-80 at night (by keeping the house heater on higher than I like) & opening windows in the day (which I don't like to do either). I live on the California coast so although this is a pain in the rear, it's doable... Now I'm thinking an acrylic tank because of clarity...

Back
Top Bottom